Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to transfer gambas from my thumb drive to my linux box. Is there a command I can use to see what devices are installed, so I can use ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

can't find my usb thumb drive...

I'm trying to transfer gambas from my thumb drive to my linux box. Is there a command I can use to see what devices are installed, so I can use the mount command to mount my thumb drive? I also checked the dev folder in the \ directory for any hints of device names that could be my usb, but couldn't find one.

The distro I'm using is mandriva. I want to switch to debian or any other distro but I'm stuck with mandriva because I'm on dialup so borrowed the cds from a friend.. Any suggestions on which one I should use?

-Thanks

Hi,

You could look in your fstab file for devices which have been defined. Try typing more /etc/fstab

A usb thumb device should be defined as /dev/sda1

To see what is mounted or otherwise just type mount
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Newbie

/mnt

All of your devices are mounted in the /mnt directory by default. Sometimes the devices are mounted but the shortcuts aren't placed on the desktop, so try directing konqueror to the /mnt folder and see what's there.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    Hi,

You could look in your fstab file for devices which have been defined. Try typing more /etc/fstab

A usb thumb device should be defined as /dev/sda1

To see what is mounted or otherwise just type mount
    I checked the dev directory again and sda was not present. I also checked out my fstab and sda is not mounted most likely because mandriva didn't install my usb drivers. Any suggestions on what I should do now?

Linux Newbie

Tablet

Are you using a laptop of some kind? I tried putting Linux on my Gateway tablet PC and the usb ports were intermittent. It picked them up, but sometimes in the middle of transfers it would lose connection and corrupt my data. Good luck finding it because I have posted here and in like 5 other places about it with no answer. My desktop has no problems, but my laptop is doomed to Windows XP.

Hmmm ... A few ideas:

I wonder if you have hotplug running on your system. I think that Mandriva dynamically updates fstab when it detects certain devices. Hotplug should auto-detect usb drives.

Try going to System>Configuration>Configure your Computer

Look under system / enable or disable services. Do you have hotplug enabled in there? There should also be a daemon running called hald. Hit Ctrl + Esc and look for that (assuming KDE as a gui). This might help.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

Thumbs up find your thumbdrive on Mandrake

Quote Originally Posted by dottedquad
    I checked the dev directory again and sda was not present. I also checked out my fstab and sda is not mounted most likely because mandriva didn't install my usb drivers. Any suggestions on what I should do now?
    actually, the previous reply said /dev/sda1...not sda as you wrote

just do
    mount /dev/sda1 this mounts the thumbdrive

the mount point is the mysterious thing it's
    /mnt/removeable