Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
NO!!! Don't reinstall Mandriva just over this...Oh well, too late now. I know this defeats the purpose of having an RPM-based distro, but I'd just compile QT from source, making ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

NO!!! Don't reinstall Mandriva just over this...Oh well, too late now. I know this defeats the purpose of having an RPM-based distro, but I'd just compile QT from source, making sure to pass "--prefix=/usr" to ./configure.

I am afraid that I don't understand what you mean with this...

You know how you're trying to compile whatever? Download the tarball for QT and compile from scratch, and when you run configure be sure to add
    Code:
    --prefix=/usr
    to the command line.

Can you give me a link to a place where I can download the tarball for QT....?
    You don't mean the evaluation version of it from the commercial web site, do you?

I downloaded qt-x11-opensource-src-4.0.1 and typed in the console:
    ./configure --prefix=/usr
    ....everything went ok, after this followed the commands...
    make
    make install
    ....and there was no errors at all. But when I tried to install some software there was no
    difference at all I still get the...
    checking for QT libraries... no
    configure: error: You need to have the QT 3.0 or higher libraries installed
    ...same error!

I tried to install one more time these libraries:
    libqt3-3.3.4-23mdk
    libqt3-devel-3.3.4-23mdk
    .....I get this!
    There was a problem during the installation:

file /usr/include/freetype2/freetype/config/ftoption.h from install of libfreetype6-devel-2.1.10-8plf conflicts with file from package lib64freetype6-devel-2.1.10-6mdk
    file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/NetBSD.cf from install of libxorg-x11-devel-6.9-1.cvs20050915.2mdk conflicts with file from package lib64xorg-x11-devel-6.9-1.cvs20050909.3mdk
    file /usr/lib/qt3/mkspecs/linux-g++/qmake.conf from install of libqt3-devel-3.3.4-23mdk conflicts with file from package lib64qt3-devel-3.3.4-23mdk

I need help!

Quote Originally Posted by Nazty
    I need help!
    If it's any comfort, I think I'd be stuck if this happened to me - and I'm quite experienced by now. It looks like you have some development packages installed for a 64 bit operating system ... At least that's what it seems like to me.

This is sticky territory! If you have a 64 bit chip and you actually need those packages, removing them might just break something (or not). If you have a standard 32 bit system, taking them out may not be so bad. You have conflicting file versions.

I suggest a very systematic approach. Make a list of all the files that are causing the conflict. You only need one of each so you'll need to decide what to keep and what to remove.

Before removing any files, copy them to a floppy or something. You can always reinstall if things crash completely.

You probably aren't very comfortable using a command line (CLI) at this point. If you were, it would make your life easier because that's where the real power is when working with GNU/Linux.

These are only pointers and - as they say in the US - Your mileage may vary. Anyway, this is just how I would approach things and isn't meant to be 'the only way'.

Another approach might be Fingal's 'Screw this' method. You say, 'Screw this' and install another package instead. This keeps me sane.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

Commom problem

In Mandrake Qt is called libqt3. So yes its there, but ALOT of programs dont find it. Try --nodep with RPMs.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4