Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just installed Mandriva Linux 2005 and all seems to work okay. I set up my moden connection to (Telstra Bigpond) Braodband-cable and, if I am reading the little ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Having trobles connecting to the net

I have just installed Mandriva Linux 2005 and all seems to work okay. I set up my moden connection to (Telstra Bigpond) Braodband-cable and, if I am reading the little icon at the top right hand corner, the connection is okay - but when I go into manzilla-firefox it won't download anything (not even the google or yahoo home page) from the net.
    I had a look at the firewall setting and think that looks fine but it just doesn't work!
    Any ideas please?
    A

Re: Having trobles connecting to the net

Quote Originally Posted by andes
    I have just installed Mandriva Linux 2005 and all seems to work okay. I set up my moden connection to (Telstra Bigpond) Braodband-cable and, if I am reading the little icon at the top right hand corner, the connection is okay - but when I go into manzilla-firefox it won't download anything (not even the google or yahoo home page) from the net.
    I had a look at the firewall setting and think that looks fine but it just doesn't work!
    Any ideas please?
    A
    Can you ping anything? Open a terminal and type ping -c 10 www.google.com

Can you visit a site using any other browser? Assuming you use KDE try it with Konqueror.

What kind of modem are you using? Is it a usb connection?

Why do I ask so many questions? (Ignore that) One last thing. Open a terminal and type ifconfig eth0 Post the output from that in here. That's a start anyway. My own connection is DSL, so my cable knowledge is limited ... still, I think those questions will help.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

bit confused with some of the terminology.

Unfortunately I am not highly technical. For a start I don't know what ping is. But I can tell you a bit more about how far I am along the line:
    I plugged the modem (motorola surfboard) into the network plug (not USB)at the back of the machine (when I installed it, it recognised it as an Intel ethernet card or something like that) and seemed to work okay. I am using the Gnome environment and when I select mozilla-firefox it starts okay. I put 'www.yahoo.com' into the command line and nothing happens for quite sometime and then it comes up with a message that says something like "the connection was refused when trying to access www.yahoo.com" , does this give you any more idea what i am up against

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Re: bit confused with some of the terminology.

Quote Originally Posted by andes
    does this give you any more idea what i am up against
    Yes it does. Ping is a command to send some digital data 'packets' to a server... and back again. I have a theory that you are connected and face a similar problem to the one I had a few weeks ago.

I think some of your Firefox settings are disallowing your net connection. Not sure of the exact solution, but if you type about:config into your URL/address bar you should get a long list of settings which you can change.

In my case the setting was network.dns.disableIPv6

You right click on it to change this to 'true' and restart your browser. Try it and see what happens.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso