Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi! im trying to install vmware on my mdk10.1 guest, host windows 2003. while running vmware configuration tool, im stumped by this error: what is the location of the directory ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

C header files- how to install?

hi!

im trying to install vmware on my mdk10.1 guest, host windows 2003. while running vmware configuration tool, im stumped by this error:

what is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

i looked at available packages and i get to see a lot of libxx files. which one should i use?

thanks!

The path in the square brackets is very probably the correct path.

Look in /usr/src to see if you have a link called 'linux' that points to the directory containing the code for the current running kernel. There should be a directory called 'include' under that. If all of this is true, then give the vmware configuration tool the path '/usr/src/linux/include'...

If what you typed is a literal on-screen live/active prompt, the path in brackets is probably the default value - simply press/select 'return'/'ok'/etc...

Just Joined!

Re: C header files- how to install?

Quote Originally Posted by jeisma
    hi!

im trying to install vmware on my mdk10.1 guest, host windows 2003. while running vmware configuration tool, im stumped by this error:

what is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

i looked at available packages and i get to see a lot of libxx files. which one should i use?

thanks!
    Hi there,

have you installed the kernel-source files. Do a
    Code:
    uname -r
    then you will have an output with the kernel you have. Then as root do
    Code:
    urpmi "the name of your kernel-source files" ex: urpmi kernel-source-2.6
    This then should download the correct kernel source. After that re-run your vmware-tools.pl & just answer all questions with an enter on your kb (all the above as root)

HTH

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

vmware c header files problem

That won't be enough. It is true, you'll need the kernel source that matches the kernel source (kernel-source-2.6 for a 2.6.x.xx running kernel) but you'll also need to do a few more steps. I too am having this problem and came across this post in my search for a solution. Have a look at this link:
    http://linuxfornewbies.org/forum/ind...opic,18.0.html
    which talks about a few more steps that are required.