Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Originally Posted by AlexK Another wild guess, did you download the correct kernel sources. From memory Mandriva seems to have a variety of sources available from urpmi. Try using urpmq ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    Another wild guess, did you download the correct kernel sources. From memory Mandriva seems to have a variety of sources available from urpmi. Try using urpmq kernel-source and choose the one which exactly matches your kernel. You can find out which kernel you are using with uname -r
    After loading Kernel-sources onto someone's computer to get the ATI driver setup I noticed mandriva downloaded the right package on its own? Dunno if it was anything special, or maybe the made it atuomagically get the right kernel sources???
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeB
    Elspuddy wrote:
    urpmi kernel-source , chouse option 2 when picking
    typed init3 and changed to where i downloaded the nvidia drivers
    sh nvidia******.run
    Just a wild guess, but are you sure you downloaded the correct driver files for your card?
    i did use the i32 drivers from nvidia's site (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7676-pkg1.run)

Another wild guess, did you download the correct kernel sources. From memory Mandriva seems to have a variety of sources available from urpmi. Try using urpmq kernel-source and choose the one which exactly matches your kernel. You can find out which kernel you are using with uname -r
    Code:
    [elspuddy@localhost tp2]$ rpm -qa | grep -i kernel.
    kernel-source-stripped-2.6-2.6.12-12mdk
    kernel-doc-2.6.12-12mdk
    kernel-2.6.12.12mdk-1-1mdk
    kernel-source-2.6-2.6.12-12mdk
    kernel-BOOT-2.6.12.12mdk-1-1mdk                 
    [elspuddy@localhost tp2]$ uname -a
    Linux localhost 2.6.12-12mdk #1 Fri Sep 9 18:15:22 CEST 2005 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2600+ unknown GNU/Linux

Quote Originally Posted by Elspuddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeB
    Elspuddy wrote:
    urpmi kernel-source , chouse option 2 when picking
    typed init3 and changed to where i downloaded the nvidia drivers
    sh nvidia******.run
    Just a wild guess, but are you sure you downloaded the correct driver files for your card?
    i did use the i32 drivers from nvidia's site (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7676-pkg1.run)

Code:
    [elspuddy@localhost tp2]$ rpm -qa | grep -i kernel.
    kernel-source-stripped-2.6-2.6.12-12mdk
    kernel-doc-2.6.12-12mdk
    kernel-2.6.12.12mdk-1-1mdk
    kernel-source-2.6-2.6.12-12mdk
    kernel-BOOT-2.6.12.12mdk-1-1mdk                 
    [elspuddy@localhost tp2]$ uname -a
    Linux localhost 2.6.12-12mdk #1 Fri Sep 9 18:15:22 CEST 2005 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 2600+ unknown GNU/Linux
    You have the wrong version of kernel sources, run urpmi kernel-sourcesand selext kernel-source-2.6.12[blah bla] it SHOULD download the correct version on its own, but make sure to uninstall the old version first.
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    how do i uninstall the old kernal ??

You don't want to uninstall the old kernel, rather you want to uninstall the old kernel-source. Try this to uninstall it:
    Code:
    urpme kernel-source-2.6-2.6.12-12mdk kernel-source-stripped-2.6-2.6.12-12mdk
    Check man pages for correct syntax of urpme command, I am writing from memory here.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    i can only see kernel-source-2.6-2.6.12-12mdk as an option when i use urpmi kernel-source

It does that now because it is already installed, try this to see which ones are available:
    Code:
    urpmq kernel-s*
    q = queery
    * = match unlimited characters as long as it starts with kernel-s

Then just do a urpmi xxxxxxxxxxxxxx to get the correct source.

Linux Engineer
    Do $ uname -r to see which kernel you are using. Someway somehow you'll have to compile a kernel (don't worry, there's nothing difficult about that when it comes to installing the nVidia driver) for the kernel module to be inserted.

I suppose you didnt compile the kernel - but somewhere you must have got an error message (since the kernel isn't even loaded).
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    my kernel is 2.6.12-12mdk

and i found a kernal-source 2.6

the kernel source you download from urpmi should exactly match the kernel that you are using. Now if you haven't updated the kernel via a Mandrake Online Update or through urpmi, then just grab the file off your mandriva install media (it should be available under the development heading).

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast