Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
any idea where to get one? yes, i know i should download one off of ati.com - i've tried several of them but it's still no use. i'd like to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

driver for radeon 9600pro

any idea where to get one? yes, i know i should download one off of ati.com - i've tried several of them but it's still no use. i'd like to know which exact version i should get because there seems to be nothing explicitly for radeon 9600pro so i figure i'll have to get some universal driver such as this "Radeon 8500 + higher" thing they offer over there but as i said - i tried that already and it doesn't work for me, please help, thanks

oh and btw sorry if this has been posted before as i'm sure it was

How did you try to install the driver???
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

Just Joined!
    i downloaded the common installer for all the 4 files (ati-driver-installer-8.18.8-i386.run) and ran it from KDE then i ran that command consisting of g x f r and l (can't remember, i admit i'm a noob) anyway i followed the instructions that all looked pretty understandable, the setup finished alright but in the end the card still didn't work so if you know of a way how to run the setup again and choose the right options or maybe a config file to modify, a different driver to download...

Quote Originally Posted by fabik317
    i downloaded the common installer for all the 4 files (ati-driver-installer-8.18.8-i386.run) and ran it from KDE then i ran that command consisting of g x f r and l (can't remember, i admit i'm a noob) anyway i followed the instructions that all looked pretty understandable, the setup finished alright but in the end the card still didn't work so if you know of a way how to run the setup again and choose the right options or maybe a config file to modify, a different driver to download...
    Hold on...lemme check ATI's website, I got it to install on Mandriva LE 2005 before I got rid of it(after using a older kernel 'cause I had the newest one and the drivers wouldn't work with it) and got it running succesfully, and it runs just fine on the newest release kernel(using it on SuSE 10.0) so it's all a matter of setting it up right. I'll post again when I have more info, BTW can u still kill the X-server or switch to a Virtual Terminal(VT)??? If so it might have some stuff to do with refresh rates...

Just Joined!
    I can run RXvt (from KDE) alright, not sure about killing X-server (dunno what that is )

I can run RXvt (from KDE) alright, not sure about killing X-server (dunno what that is )
    Kill X, meaning kill the proccess, meaning brutally and forcefully exit it, and a virtual terminal isnt RXvt, it is pressing CTL + ALT + F1 thru F6 to switch to a full CLI, ALT + F7 will put you back in X, and to kill X simply press CTRL + ALT + BACKSPACE while in the X-server, OR switch to a VT, login as root, and issue the command init 3.

Just Joined!
    yeah, i can switch back and forth the way you described, no problem

yeah, i can switch back and forth the way you described, no problem
    Good, well now how did you go through the installer?

Just Joined!
    well i can't remember for sure, is there a way of running it again so i can check? the only thing i know is there were no errors/warnings throughout

Run the driver installer, use Install Driver, Automatic Install, than paste the contents of the file /usr/share/fglrx, this is the log file from the installer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast