Find the answer to your Linux question:
I would like to know if there is a Live CD version of Mandrake, and how easy for a newbie it would be to create a slightly customised version of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Creating a custom Live CD

I would like to know if there is a Live CD version of Mandrake, and how easy for a newbie it would be to create a slightly customised version of this.

For example, If I have a version of a distro installed on a hard disk that has a few programs installed and things set up the way I like, can this be (easily) converted into a live CD version, to run on any PC?

Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

Just Joined!
    Awesome! Thanks.

Sounds like it might be a bit scary though!

It's not that scary honestly, just follow the instructions and your golden. Just make sure not to have a humungo complete install, or even close to it, but you can probably fit up to 3 gigs of stuff onto a liveCD depending on what it is. The only (not quite so) scary part is needing the kernel with UnionFS and SquashFS support, but that's not bad if you know what you are doing.
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

On the Linux Live site, they have a Slackware package with a kernel with UnionFS and SquashFS support. If you convert that to an rpm with alien you could install that. You could also use the guide here: http://slax.linux-live.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6442.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

There are a couple of live cd's which are made to be re-mastered, Morphix and Mutagenix:
    www.morphix.org
    www.mutagenix.org
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com