Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I had 10.2 installed on my PC, the Mandrake Control Center's page for Software had an option and icon for software updates, four options altogether being on that page. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No more software update option in the MCC in 2006.0?

When I had 10.2 installed on my PC, the Mandrake Control Center's page for Software had an option and icon for software updates, four options altogether being on that page.

Now that I've upgraded with some version 2006.0 files (the most recent with drak* filenames), the now renamed Mandriva Linux Control Center no longer has a software update option on its Software page. This behavior is consistent between two different machines, so it isn't a one time glitch.

Is there any way to get the update option or some equivalent back, without going back to the older verson of the drak* packages? I know I can still update with urpmi, but I like being able to look at the list of softwares needing updates that the old MCC was able to present.

So basically you updated some of your 10.1 files into 10.2 files ?
    Well, telling you that people who made a fresh complete install don't have your problem won't help you

I suspect that basically updating the drak* files isn't enough... But alas I don't know what needs to be updated... Good luck dude, or else, try an "upgrade", after all the upgrade function is the thing you'd need IMHO ^^

Just Joined!
    Okay, I should be clearer. I originally had 10.1 installed on my machine. But I upgraded months ago to 10.2. It is from 10.2 that I'm attempting to upgrade to 2006.0. And yes, the behavior is consistent on both machines I've upgraded so far. The MCC isn't acting weird or hanging up, but in the 2006.0 upgrade it simply lacks one of its previous (10.2) Software Management page options, the upgrade option. There are no glitches or weirdnesses when the MCC come up, just no upgrade option.

In its place is a useless option that shows up if you put the MCC into expert mode, that will email you if you need upgrades. I tried to use that, but its wizard tells me my perfectly good email address is invalid, so that option won't work. In any case, an email notifier isn't as good as the (old?) upgrade option.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Seren, why not completely upgrade to version 2006, after all ? I feel/hope that would solve the problem... (BTW I had the same email problem, maybe there is a checking that this is a Mandriva Club member email)

Just Joined!
    I have been upgrading to 2006.0 with urpmi, but the Upgrade option in the Software Management page in the MCC is still not there, and what is there, the "send us your email addr so we can let you know when there are upgrades for you" option still dies when I give it my correct email address. And even if it did work, it wouldn't be as useful as the old upgrade option was.

I don't want to believe that they eliminated useful functionally from the MCC when they upgraded it from 10.2 to 2006.0, but that's what it's looking like. But I'll keep installing more parts of 2006.0 in hopes that some package that didn't show up as an MCC dependency will add what was lost....

That's strange because I've also upgraded 2005 LE to 2006. My update option was broken in 2005, but my 2006 upgrade has fixed this!

What happens when you open a terminal, log in as root and type:

mdkapplet --force &

OR

mdkapplet -f &

??

Upgrading should just be a case of defining a path to some ftp mirror site near you. Hope this is helpful in some way. Unless I'm mistaken I still have the upgrade option in MCC.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso