Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, i've had my mandrake linux 10 for a while now, i've decided to install it on my gateway 3550 GZ and i did,, everything is fine,, here is my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help, new to linux,,, wireless problem on laptop gateway 3550 and sound..

hi, i've had my mandrake linux 10 for a while now, i've decided to install it on my gateway 3550 GZ and i did,, everything is fine,, here is my trouble and i hope u guys can help me out

the mainbord chip set for my laptop is intel 845, so is the graphic card and sound card,, mandrake detected sound card no problem but there is no sound,, also i couldn't get wireless internet configured >.>

please help me out, i'm newb in linux and all ur helps would be very much appreciated, if there is any information i can provide regarding to my laptop to solve theses issues i would be more than happy to provide,, thank you very much~

For the sound, have you tried testing the sound in the MCC? Have you tried running alsamixer as root and making sure that the sound channels are un-muted?

For the wireless, I am going to need a little more info, what kind of wireless card is it? I would suggest you take a look at this post to see what drivers people used to get their cards running in linux.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    thanks for the reply, the card is Intel PRO/Wireless (Calexico II) ,,,, also all my fn keys on my laptop lost its function + the volume control for laptop it self is not working,, i'm pretty sure lots of drivers are missing here actually, but first first i need to get internet ready!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I am pretty sure that mandrake 10/10.1 comes with the drivers for the ipw series of cards, but not the firmware. The link I gave you in my previous post, contains another link (towards the end of that post) for a place to get the ipw firmware and where to install it and all that.

Once you have gotten the ipw firmware, simply place it in the correct directory that the driver looks for it (from memory i think it is /etc/hotplug) and then configure the card as normal in the MCC.

Oh and for most laptops, the Fn keys don't usually work as they are bound to windows settings. You might take a look at a program called Lineak to assign useful commands to these keys.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.