Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I just installled Mandriva 2005 on my Toshiba Satellite A60 Laptop on a partition separate from my windows partition. When I start Mandriva in failsafe mode, it's ok, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandriva 2005 Freezes at Login Screen

Hello, I just installled Mandriva 2005 on my Toshiba Satellite A60 Laptop on a partition separate from my windows partition. When I start Mandriva in failsafe mode, it's ok, but I can't use the gui. When I try to start Mandriva normally, everything is fine until I get to the login screen. I've had two sessions where I was able to login successfully, but the other two dozen attempts have resulted in a total freeze of the system before I can enter a single character into the username. Any advice is welcome!

What does:
    Code:
    init 5
    from a fail-safe prompt yield?

Just Joined!
    after a lot of stuff happening, i get the normal login screen, and it froze (a little faster than normal too)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie

login freeze

Not familiar with laptops, but freezes during login right after installation are generally hardware config problems. are you ablle to

'startx' ?

Just Joined!
    i'm not quite sure what u mean by that.... i hate to admit it, but i'm really a linux n00b.

the best i can say is, i start it normally, it always freezes before i can enter a single character into the login screen. when i start in fail-safe, i can login w/ the pure text, then i type "startx" and sometimes i get past the login screen, sometimes i don't. when i do, i still don't even have enough time to do anything productive - it freezes then.