Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey there, I am a MandrakeLinux user (this is the best forum fitted for this problem i suppose) There are a lot of programs that i have tried to compile ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation failed, no C++ equivalent installed

Hey there, I am a MandrakeLinux user (this is the best forum fitted for this problem i suppose)

There are a lot of programs that i have tried to compile that return the following error:

configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check

i researched this problem, and did a little digging around and found i didnt have g++. i had gcc, but not the c++ compiler. therefore i downloaded the needed rpm (gcc2.96-c++-2.96-0.83mdk.i586.rpm) and ran it. i came across an error i have come across many times:

Some package requested cannot be installed:
    gcc2.96-c++-2.96-0.83mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied libstdc++2.10[== 2.96])

i want to figure out how to satisfy libstdc++2.10, in order to get g++ installed. I have been looking all over and can't find anything that will help.

I am running MandrakeLinux.

thank you very much

[edit] i tried installing libstdc++2.10-2.96-0.83mdk.i586.rpm, and now its complaining that that verions of libstdc++ isnt working in the same way, so what version do i have to get to satisfy it?

You might want to check both http://rpm.pbone.net and http://www.rmpfind.net for .rpm files.

With you needing to install gcc, check in the Mandriva Controle Center, and there should be an option in urpm part to install it. You might also want to read the part in this tutorial on installing things using urpm (you'll have to scroll down quite a bit).
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    I forgot to add, under "configure your computer" there is an option to install additional packages, which goes through my dvd and finds packages available for install. i found gcc there, but when i install it it says "the following packages cannot be selected" and lists the gcc package. same thing with the gcclib package.

EDIT: very odd, when i found it in rpm.pbone.net and installed it, it told me gcc-c++-3.4.1-4mdk was already installed... yet it still fails the sanity check. I get this [last few lines of the ./configure program's output]

Code:
    checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... /lib/cpp
    configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
    See `config.log' for more details.

Reading about a bit I found that mandrake ships the gcc (C), g++ (C++) compilers seperatly, look for a package named something like gcc-g++-2.95.3-i386-2 for a C++ compiler.
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Am i looking for a library to add to gcc... i dont quite understand, because it looks at a file (cpp) that i already have and it fails the test... so does that mean that it just doesnt have a library to allow it to compile c++ source code files?

It's due to the fact you don't have a compiler to compile .cpp files.
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2