Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Help Accidently deleted /var/*

Hi
    I am an arsehole .I logged into my system as root and since I was running out of disk space I deleted everything that was in /var .Now when I rebooted mu system I got a lot of messages and it hangs at "starting system logger" for 5 minutes before showing up the login prompt.I can't either start the xserver.
    Please help I don't want to reinstall .
    Varun

Re: Help Accidently deleted /var/*

Quote Originally Posted by varun2784
    Please help I don't want to reinstall .
    Varun
    I think you'll be forced to do that. I can't think of a way to fix it otherwise ... unless .... maybe.

Okay, this is me improvising. Get hold of a Knoppix CD/DVD, boot from that (means changing your boot order in your BIOS) ... Errrrm ... Somehow, as root, copy your /var/ files over into your other OS. It could work, it could completely stuff up your system. But it's already stuffed up so perhaps it doesn't matter.

EDIT: This could turn out to be a silly idea because there will almost certainly be some files in Knoppix /var/ intended only for that distro. Still, it might be interesting.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Try using your install cd to do a repair.
    It's been awhile since I have used Mandriva/Mandrake, but with some distros they have a repair option when you boot up.
    If the repair option is not there, try "upgrading".
    All of your personal files will be left untouched.
    If you want to learn more about linux take a linux journey
    https://linuxjourney.com/
    Use CODE tags when posting output of commands. Thank you.
    https://www.linuxcounter.net/cert/608410.png

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Fingal's idea could work if you used a Mandriva based live disc, and there are a few. Mandows springs to mind but it's in french by default. I remember really badly screwing a system up by having some files in /var get deleted. I intended removing lock files and took out the whole system. As far as I remember the recovery option in Mandriva is just a running bash console, but you may have enough to get some of the essential /var files back. I would guess that contents of the lock, log and run directories are what you need, but I'm not expert on this.