Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello - Thought I'd share this with you in case anyone has the same trouble I did. I got my hands on the latest free edition of Mandriva 2006 and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Amarok ate my hdd

Hello -

Thought I'd share this with you in case anyone has the same trouble I did. I got my hands on the latest free edition of Mandriva 2006 and upgraded from LE 2005. This took a while, but the end results look really smooth. Incredibly smooth in fact.

I have a little app sitting on my kicker called runaway process catcher. It's very simple: if the smiley face is smiling, all is well. If not then something is using a lot of CPU overhead. The face started frowning as soon as I upgraded.

So what was the matter? Amarok - which by the way I like using - was eating my hard drive. The red light started to flash, the platters started spinning and they didn't stop until I uninstalled it. So it seems that if you upgrade from LE 2005 you need to watch out for a Demon version of Amarok! I was on the IRC channel at the time, and everything was so locked down I couldn't speak to anyone

But apart from that, Mandriva has got things right with this excellent distro. :rock:
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

I remember that the recursive checking for new music in your collection had a huge overhead on the system when you had anything more than a trivial amount of music, and I disbled it. However using Amarok >=1.3.0 seems to be fine. It still runs the checks but I notice there is far less of an overhead on the system. It seems to run much more efficiently, not to mention extra functionality and more eye candy. Worth the upgrade.

Okay - thanks big fella
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso