Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, here's the problem. I already have 2 operating systems on my computer. Windows 98 SE and windows xp pro. I want to get rid of the xp pro but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    unknown

[SOLVED] How to get rid of 1 of 2 OSes to use mandriva

Ok, here's the problem. I already have 2 operating systems on my computer. Windows 98 SE and windows xp pro. I want to get rid of the xp pro but keep the 98 se. My windows 98 partitions are C, and my XP is G. In total i have the partitions C D E F G. I want to take off G and D partitions but leave the other ones so I can use one for mandriva 2006 and the other for my Linux From Scratch project. I thought the mandriva install would let me format but I get a stupid "Fatal error finishing initialization" problem that i have tried tons of stuff to fix. So now i am thinking that i need a free partition to begin with, but how do i do that? I am kinda new so please excuse my newbieness.

Just Joined!

Re: How to get rid of 1 of 2 OSes to use mandriva

Quote Originally Posted by unknown
    My windows 98 partitions are C, and my XP is G. In total i have the partitions C D E F G. I want to take off G and D partitions but leave the other
    The best way to remove partitions G and D, would be to use the windows XP setup CD.
    See:http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=3...25120121120120

Once you have deleted the partitions, leave the unallocated space and try your Linux setup again.

The Mandriva install disc will let you work on partitions, and it's one of the easiest tools to use. You can see graphically your partitions and it's pretty straightforward. In fact if you delete those partitions you will be able to tell Mandriva to auto assign the free space.

What about your Windows 98 ? Did you try to remove the partitions with programs like Powerquest Partition Manager ? They are more then just User-friendly !