Find the answer to your Linux question:
I can not get my wireless network card to work at all in mandrake 10.1 i have a netgear wg311v2, and after looking around i found that it uses ac100 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

wireless networking wg311v2

I can not get my wireless network card to work at all in mandrake 10.1

i have a netgear wg311v2, and after looking around i found that it uses ac100 but when i tried that option in the hardware config it did not work.

has anyone gotten it to work? or am i just a n00b?

I have the same card as you a wg311v2. It actually uses the acx111 driver and not the acx100 driver. Now, due to licensing restrictions (or something like that), Mandriva doesn't ship with the firmware for the card, but it does come with the driver as far as i know.

See this howto on getting the card to work.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    ok so i did that and wireless internet works, but its soooooooo slooww

my signal is only about 49/100 as opposed to the usual 90/100 i get when the same machine is logged into windows.

any suggestions?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by bpkennedy
    my signal is only about 49/100 as opposed to the usual 90/100 i get when the same machine is logged into windows.

any suggestions?
    No I don't have any ideas on howto improve the signal strength. However I don't notice such a large drop for me between linux and windows (Windows ~ 70%, linux ~60%). And speed wise, there is no real difference for me.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Hi there, You could also use the Driverloader which is very easy to install, configure etc & its free!! Yep the acx111 chipset is free to use & as i believe the only chipset that driverloader don't charge you for. Now Im using this on 2005 with my kernel as 2.6.11-6mdk. I have been informed that the latest package from driverloader is not free & will not be free from there on, but the package im on is free (driverloader-2.27) & works a treat (btw I use the usr 5410 but this has the same chipset I believe)...

HTH