Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed Mandriva 2006 with a few complaints from the DVD drive and it was unable to install certain files. It now seems fine except fpr the fact that the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Internet slow after installing Mandriva 2006

I installed Mandriva 2006 with a few complaints from the DVD drive and it was unable to install certain files. It now seems fine except fpr the fact that the internet connection seems slow initially. It wasn't like this with Mandriva 2005LE.
    A message appears "looking for www.google.com" or something similar and this seems to take ages(up to 30 secs). Once this has gone the transfer of data is very quick. I am using Firefox107 and have installed the extension "Networktweak" but this hasn't helped.
    Hope someone can help me.
    Thanks

I've found that my initial connection to Google is also rather slow (it's my default page). I often stop the browser and refresh halfway through. I'm not sure what's happening there ... maybe something to do with the Google site itself??
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

Cool gnome is ok.

Me too. in KDE environ. internet is very slow . But in gnome it is perfect. What could be the reason.

Browser: Firefox 1.0.6, Konqueror, epiphani
    HW: Athlog Xp 1400+, 512mb DDR

Thanks in advance.

---------------------------------------
    mm

Mandriva has an interactive firewall now right? Problems with that maybe? Anyway more likely you're having problems with DNS. is named running?