Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me with my installation problems. I have a MSI MS-7184 motherboad, AMD 64 3400+, 200GB ATA harddrive, and ATI Radeon Xpress 200 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation troubles

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me with my installation problems. I have a MSI MS-7184 motherboad, AMD 64 3400+, 200GB ATA harddrive, and ATI Radeon Xpress 200 (128MB) onboard video card. I have 'Mandrivia Linux: Limited Edition 2005' (3 Disks) version of mandrivia. I cannot get past the screen where, I assume, it is autodetecting my devices; whatever happens after you push enter after booting from cd. I have also tried live cds but all seem to give me some USB error; I did, however, manage to get knoppix to load after using a command to disable USB but my LCD monitor was 'out of timing'.
    I have tried removing all of my USB devices and plugging in a standard mouse & keyboard but still can't get past the first screen. I'm very new to linux but would really like to get it working as I have had it dual-booting on past systems.
    Do any newer versions of mandrivia have added support or features that will be more compatable with my system? If there is a similar distro of linux (beginner & installation friendly ) I am willing to give it a try but prefer mandrivia.
    Any help would be much appreciated but please try to keep it simple.

Just Joined!
    I have the same motherboard, and can't get any linux-distro's to work. I believe that the S-ATA controller is the main culprit. (live-distro's work fine if I disable the s-ata controller).

I don't know if the controller is ATI's or MSI's so I don't know who to blame...

Just Joined!
    I heard that there might be an issue with the ATI X200 video controller and its lack of Linux support.

I just got the new machine yesterday and I haven't installed Linux yet (probably SuSE or Fedora 4), but I will let you know if I get it working. BTW, SuSE is a really nice distro (I used to be a Mandrake fan but I have switched over the last year or so...)

Is your machine an eMachine?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Installation.

Before Installing Mandriva check the H/W database at: http://frontal2.mandriva.com/en/hardware

The 64 bit support & SATA support can still very iffy

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by garth
    I heard that there might be an issue with the ATI X200 video controller and its lack of Linux support.

I just got the new machine yesterday and I haven't installed Linux yet (probably SuSE or Fedora 4), but I will let you know if I get it working. BTW, SuSE is a really nice distro (I used to be a Mandrake fan but I have switched over the last year or so...)

Is your machine an eMachine?
    Yes, it is an eMachine. I hope to hear back from you if you do manage to get any linux distro working.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by daffy_
    I have the same motherboard, and can't get any linux-distro's to work. I believe that the S-ATA controller is the main culprit. (live-distro's work fine if I disable the s-ata controller).

I don't know if the controller is ATI's or MSI's so I don't know who to blame...
    I disabled "APIC Mode" under the bios and now am able to boot a live CD (only tried one). Could anyone tell me what APIC is and if I should normally have it enabled?
    My new problem is that when installing Mandrake LE2005 to an empty, test harddrive everything went smoothly with APIC disabled but after it was installed and I restarted it gives 'Out of timing' error on my screen. Right after lilo this error comes up on my blank screen; I have a Sharp LCD screen and it shows "Out of timing V:44Hz H:46.5kHz". Does anyone know how to correct this problem?

follow this link on definition of APIC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APIC

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Just Joined!

LCD

I guessing that the default resolution setting for mandrivia is somewhere around 1280 x 1024. I was wondering if there was a way to change this to somewhere around 800 x 600 because a live SUSE disk gave me an 'out of timing' error too then i choose 800 x 600 for the boot setting and it worked fine. I currently run XP @ 1024 x 768 but my monitor supports a max of 1280 x 1024. Is it possible to somehow change the default resolution for mandrivia? I'd like to download the 64bit version if I can get LE2005 working.

(Thanks for the link Andy)

Edit:I found out the resolution could be changed during the install process if you go to set up graphics/display or something like that. After setting it to a lower resolution it displays fine on my LCD and no longer out of timing.