Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
it looks like it is associated, but why do you have two entries for wireless? I'd say delete one of them and see if that helps. Also, what is the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

it looks like it is associated, but why do you have two entries for wireless? I'd say delete one of them and see if that helps.

Also, what is the output from the route command.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    how would i delete one of those entries.. it just pops up whenver i activate eth2.. which is wireless.. the route command gives this..

[root@superskunk etc]# route
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
    192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth2
    default Border0.charter 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

Just Joined!
    What are some good applications, maybe running under KDE or something similar, that will ook out for AP for me? i wanna start playing with airsnort.. and something like NetStumbler... any reccomendations.. but i have to get this to work first.... lol.. DAMNIT! ......

Just Joined!
    hmmmm

well here is the kicker... i think i found out what might be causing my problem... but not quite sure how to fix it...

it seems that, when the eth0 which is the lan is up and running, so is the wireless.. the wireless IP is pingable and what not.... when i type route, i get this
    [root@superskunk tom]# route
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    192.168.1.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
    default 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0
    the default route for eth0 is 192.168.1.1, which is good... the default route for eth2... is nothing..... how do i manually change that? i'm reading the man page for route... it seems as though, drakconnect doesn't do anything when i input the friekin' default gateway and what not... what the hell! lol....

any ideas? it seems like the wireless card is routing everything out through the gateway and is doing it through the wired network......... any ideas on changing that route? or adding a route rather for eth2 much like eth0 has? THanks!

Just Joined!
    Hi, another way for you to investigate is to open up konqueror as root (open up the terminal then su & the password for root. Then type konqueror -- sorry if you already know this) Once konqueror opens up as root navigate to "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts" now you will have a file called ifcfg-eth0 (your lan) & another file should be present (your wireless) mine's called ifcfg-eth1 and finally a file called ifcfg-lo (leave this one alone). Ok first do you have the files? If so open up ifcfg-eth1 (i use kwrite) here's mine for an example of what the file should look like
    Code:
    DEVICE=eth1
    BOOTPROTO=static
    IPADDR=192.168.1.22
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    NETWORK=192.168.1.0
    BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
    ONBOOT=yes
    METRIC=10
    MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes
    USERCTL=yes
    WIRELESS_MODE=Managed
    WIRELESS_ESSID=whatever
    WIRELESS_ENC_KEY=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    If alls well next I only have the wireless up (the lan has the same IP) so if your lan is up bring it down with the following command "ifdown eth0" If in the file you don't have an IP address for example add it the way it looks in my config file & save the file. The name of my wireless is eth1 so you need to make sure that in mcc it also is the same name. For the sake of information overload I will stop now.. let us know what you have first...

HTH

Yes, the output from route shows it is trying to send through eth0, in MCC try changing it so that the default route is through eth1 rather than through eth0. Also, it may help if just for testing purposes if you deleted the wired card's config in MCC.

Just Joined!

hmm

what's the ****.......

when i turn WEP off... i unplug my wired network connection, it works........ what the heck is going on!!!

You will find that if you completely get rid of the wired connection, it should work on boot (wep can be on).

Now, if you look for those files which JaRaEeZ said in his post. Find the one for the wired card and make sure it's "ONBOOT" parameter is set to no. And even in the MCC, youshould be able to tell the system to never bring the wired card up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2