Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi i am new to linux environment.i downloaaded j2sdk-1_4_2_10-linux-i586.bin .on the terminal i gave chmod +xj2sdk-1_4_2_10-linux-i586.bin. i saved my downloaded file in file:/mnt/win_e/software i chaged my directory 2 software. and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

java installation

hi
    i am new to linux environment.i downloaaded j2sdk-1_4_2_10-linux-i586.bin .on the terminal
    i gave chmod +xj2sdk-1_4_2_10-linux-i586.bin. i saved my downloaded file in file:/mnt/win_e/software i chaged my directory 2 software. and gave the above command
    i got it is not accessible.required access permissions.when i typed ll iit is with drwxrwxrwx.
    how can i be ablle 2 install java now.

i am using mandrake linux 10.1 official. can u help me how 2 access the root.

Just Joined!
    I had a similar issue I think, I was able to get everything working after reading a post on manrake tips for free, maybe it will point you in the right direction:

It's not so much more work to get Java directly from SUN, go to their download page: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html and select Download J2SE JRE. Then follow the instructions at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/jre/install-linux.html:
    chmod a+x j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586-rpm.bin
    ./j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586-rpm.bin
    [agree to the license agreement]
    urpmi j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586.rpm
    ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_05/bin/java /usr/bin/java

(note: there was already a link in: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so pointing at /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_05/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so, but the last ln command was necessary to get java into the standard executable path.)

ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_05/bin/java /usr/bin/java was the key for me.
    which I read on www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr

Linux Newbie

installation java

my problem is not resolved by using chmod a+x... it asking for root permissions.i am already a root user.how can i acces it.plz help me

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close