Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi i have nvidia geforce-4(mx 4000).i downloaded drivers for that card.i am getting error to load.it is asking 2 close all the x window system.how can i install the drivers ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

nvidia driver installation

hi

i have nvidia geforce-4(mx 4000).i downloaded drivers for that card.i am getting error to load.it is asking 2 close all the x window system.how can i install the drivers for my graphics card withoout entering into the x window system.

You need to get to init 3 which is fully command line. Go to a terminal and run
    Code:
    su -  ##You enter your root password when asked
    init 3
    What you do then is change to the location of the install fill and type
    Code:
    sh NVIDIA-rest_of_filename_here.sh
    Therre are a few threads on installing nVidia drivers along with a tutorial if you run a quick search.

Just Joined!

Nvidia Drivers

I had a similar card and the driver install goes something like this:
    -open a comsole
    -become root (type su followed by your root password)
    - type sh and the file name of the driver ( ex: sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-7676-pkg1.run)
    Note: that the kernel source MUST be installed
    -Edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config(or\and xorg.conf) and look at the section on your video card. Change the the line in the NVidia section from "nv" to "nvidia"
    -exit the cosole and restart X or reboot
    If your driver install is sucessfull you should see an Nvidia splash screen when X starts.

Linux Newbie
    i tried the way u said changing "nv" to "nvidia" in nvidia section in etc/...
    i got the error message to exit the xwindow system before insatlling the drivers.how can i do so.plz tell me how 2 exit the x window system to install the drivers

can i get console before x window system to be satrted to installl the drivers

Quote Originally Posted by harishbayyavarapu
    i got the error message to exit the xwindow system before insatlling the drivers.how can i do so.plz tell me how 2 exit the x window system to install the drivers
    Read bigtomrodney's post on how to get to Run Level 3, i.e. where X hasn't started. If that doesn't work, do the following:

Open the /etc/inittab file as root using your favourite editor, Look for the line which looks like
    Code:
    # The default runlevel.
    id:5:initdefault:
    Change the 5 in the above line to a 3, save and reboot the system. Then try reinstalling the driver.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Linux Engineer
    you don't have to change your default runlevel and reboot. all you have to do is run 'init 3' and then exit X
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Newbie
    sorry. iwas not able 2 install the drivers.i tried by changing int 5 to 3 but i am not successful.plz tell me another way 2 configure my graphics card.

sorry. iwas not able 2 install the drivers.i tried by changing int 5 to 3 but i am not successful.plz tell me another way 2 configure my graphics card.
    Can you elaborate a bit on that? You need root permissions to change the contents of the /etc/inittab file.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!

Thumbs up

hi

i have nvidia geforce-4(mx 4000).i downloaded drivers for that card.i am getting error to load.it is asking 2 close all the x window system.how can i install the drivers for my graphics card withoout entering into the x window system.

Hi harishbayyavarapu

I give a solution which worked for my system as i am also having nvidia geforce-4.
    U just enter the username as root and the password as per u created.
    Then u type "sh NVIDIA-linux-x86-1.0-8178-pkg1.run"-q
    next u type "sax2 -m0=nvidia"
    u will now enter into x window