Find the answer to your Linux question:
wat is the use of linux swap in installing linux.can u tell me y 2 use linux swap. by the way dont think otherwise r there any games for linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

doubt

wat is the use of linux swap in installing linux.can u tell me y 2 use linux swap.

by the way dont think otherwise r there any games for linux as such for windows like
    farcry,nightfire etc......

also is there a yahoo messenger for mandrake linux 10.1.i saw in the yahoo website there is messenger for only redhat,debian,free bsd ,unix.

plz help me

Linux Newbie

Re: doubt

Quote Originally Posted by harishbayyavarapu
    what is the use of linux swap in installing linux.can u tell me y 2 use linux swap.

by the way dont think otherwise r there any games for linux as such for windows like
    farcry,nightfire etc......

can i install windows after linux is installed in the remaining partitions.i have 4 partitions

also is there a yahoo messenger for mandrake linux 10.1.i saw in the yahoo website there is messenger for only redhat,debian,free bsd ,unix.

plz help me

1. The swap partition in linux is used to extend the amount of RAM you have. In old days, when RAM was little, people used swap space on their hard drives to cache data which couldn't fit onto RAM. But these days, people have plenty of RAM and the need for large swap spaces is diminishing.

2. How about Doom and Quake, perhaps Wolfenstein: Enemy Teritory? Those are the "big" games that I know of which have linux clients available for them, i.e. they can be installed natively under linux. For playing windows games in linux, check out Wine or Cedega.

3. Use gaim, it comes with a plugin for yahoo messenger. If you don't have it installed, just do a "urmpi gaim" (without quotes) in the terminal as root. Otherwise if you want, you can download the Red Hat version and install it.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If you are using KDE, odds are Kopete is installed. If you are using GNOME, odds are that Gaim is installed. Both of those will work for using Yahoo.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.