Find the answer to your Linux question:
I forgot my root password and followed the Install CD - rescure solution. It all seemed to work fine, but after rebooting the passoword doesn't work ...? I have PAM ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    kum
    Just Joined!

forgot password - rescure doesn't help!

I forgot my root password and followed the Install CD - rescure solution. It all seemed to work fine, but after rebooting the passoword doesn't work ...?

I have PAM installed with "paranoia" settings (this was installed by a experienced admin, which I cannot contact anymore).

What should I do?

Thanks.

I'm not sure if it's as simple as this, but you could boot the computer using a livecd, and chroot into the linux root partition. From there you should be able to use passwd to alter the root password as usual. Maybe an expert could comment if it's not quite as simple as this.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

kum
    Just Joined!

still doesn't work

I've tried all solutions I could find - all the soulutions seem to change my password, but after rebooting it doesn't work ...

?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    kum
    Just Joined!

fixed it!

Apparently I had a PAM setting which didn't allow me to login as root. After I loged as a diferent user and used "su", I was able to log as root ...