Find the answer to your Linux question:
My friend is trying to install Mandrake Linux 10.1, He puts his install disk in, and restarts and boots from the disk, then hits enter to make the install starts. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation Issue

My friend is trying to install Mandrake Linux 10.1, He puts his install disk in, and restarts and boots from the disk, then hits enter to make the install starts. Then it goes to the next screen and start checking the computer for USB, and stuff like that. At this point, it stops and says CD-ROM is not found. He's using a DVD-ROM and this is the first time that his computer has ever given him an issue with his DVD-ROM.

Now have you tried installing Mandrake using those cd's on another computer? it could be that the burn or download is corrupted.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Yeah he's tried installing it on another computer, and it worked. He also bought the DVD pack for $60.

Hmm this is a strange problem indeed. Only thing I can think of is this:

When the cd boots, you should have an option to pass various parameters to it (From memory, I think you press F2 or something of that sort). Now pass this parameter "ide=nodma" (without quotes), check the exact syntax using the help function in that menu.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Ok, thanks. Another friend of mine that tried helping said to try and unplug any USB devices and see if that makes a difference. But I'll have him try what you said. Thanks AlexK