Find the answer to your Linux question:
Am looking for something i can pretty much plug and play or at least just use the MCC to install the thing. Am looking at some D-LInk DWL-520 on -bay ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Reccomendations for a Wireless D-LInk DWL-520?

Am looking for something i can pretty much plug and play or at least just use the MCC to install the thing. Am looking at some D-LInk DWL-520 on -bay for $14. but don't know if they will be recognized by my 10.1 or not. Anyone have any suggestions? i already bought one card i had to give to my son-in-law Have a nice evening!!!

The thing is that the system will see the card, but it may not have the firmware for it. A cheap trick you can do is to use a program called ndiswrapper to "wrap" the windows drivers for the card so that it can be used under linux. From memory, 10.1 does come with ndiswrapper, but you should try and install the latest one via urpmi. Then just follow this tutorial to get it to work.

Also, the 520 seems to be a good card, but don't expect the 108MBit speeds to work.

Hope this helps.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Wow AlexK, just looked at the tutorial. Maybe i should just stick to my wired lan. Anyway, thanks a lot for this reply and for all the others which populate the Forum on this subject. Have a great evening!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    It is not difficult to get the card running, see the thing with that tutorial is 1/2 of the fight is to get Ndiswrapper installed. But since Mandrake provides an automatic way to install programs via urpmi, 1/2 of the job is done for you already.

All that is left for you to do then is to copy the windows drivers to your home directory, use ndiswrapper -i etc.. to install the driver. Once that is done, All you then do is launch MCC, goto the wireless internet connection dialogue and tell it to use ndiswrapper as the driver. And volia you have wireless.

I'd say try go with the wireless lan, you should learn a lot in the process. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Oh and enjoy your evening too.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.