Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well, I've tried and given up using Fedora, now trying Mandriva... Here's my case: I have QWest DSL internet, for which they supply a modem/router box called a "gateway" (made ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB DSL modem connection?

Well, I've tried and given up using Fedora, now trying Mandriva...

Here's my case: I have QWest DSL internet, for which they supply a modem/router box called a "gateway" (made by Actiontech). And of course, they do not support Linux! This gateway has one ethernet plug, one USB plug, and one wireless antenna. I have no antenna hardware.

I have two computers that I want online, and want the USB connection to work on the Mandriva 10.1 machine. But it absolutely fails to recognize the USB plug at all! I unplug the ethernet cord and run it downstairs and plug it in: it connects! Try it with the USB: nothing. It does detect that there's a TI (Texas Instruments) modem plugged into the USB port when I look at it in system->configuration->hardware->USBview.

Any ideas? I already tried the eciadsl driver rpm - nothing there worked.

In general, USB modems are not well supported in GNU/Linux. This is because they are considered inefficient. To explain, USB modems use your CPU when you connect up to the net. If you happen to need it for something else, that could slow things down.

ISPs tend to supply USB modems free of charge with your connection package. Personally, I refused to accept mine and bought a modem/router (cabled rather than wireless in my case). In the end I believe that it's better to connect that way.

I think some USB modems might work, but I have my doubts.

EDIT: Also think about trying to get a full dvd copy of Mandriva 2006. It just works a lot better in every way.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso