Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey team i am haveing issues installing themes in gnome, when i use the GUI and goto the Themes section, i browse for the theme, it says installing but dosnt ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installing themes in GNOME

hey team

i am haveing issues installing themes in gnome, when i use the GUI and goto the Themes section, i browse for the theme, it says installing but dosnt appear in the list, am i meant to use the files with the tar extenstion or extract and then choose which file initally to install

thanks guys

all i do is extract the theme from the archive and dump it straight into the themes folder on either /usr/share/themes folder. this is for a system wide installation of the theme. if you use the method you have used, it only installs it for that user. thats all there is to it. if its a complete theme with a metacity-1 and a gtk folder in the theme, there should be a 'theme.index' file in the same folder as the theme. this file determines what metacity, gtk, and icon theme to use. the metacity and gtk entry should be the same as the name of the folder and the theme, so make sure they are the same.

btw whats the name of the theme?

Just Joined!
    the theme is a windows xp theme and i did put it in the .theme folder for mandrake. and it still dosnt show up

.theme
    is that in root or your own?

Linux Enthusiast
    Also, did you extract it there?

Just Joined!
    i installed it

/home/peter/.themes

as the themes GUI section placed it there but i also placed it manually

chingy213
    have a look at the index.theme file in the folder that you placed in /home/peter/.themes. if there is one, that will tell you the name of the metacity, icon, and gtk theme that it uses. check that the folder name matches the name of the gtk and metacity theme exactly.