Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm currently running Mandriva 2005 Limited Edition and have never had any problems whatsoever out of it, but I figured I would ask you guys a few questions because I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Upgrading from 2005 Limited Edition

I'm currently running Mandriva 2005 Limited Edition and have never had any problems whatsoever out of it, but I figured I would ask you guys a few questions because I'm thinking of upgrading to 2006. I would have searched mandriva.com but I'm at my parents' house for Thanksgiving and I'm stuck on their 28k dial up, and the mandriva.com page is a little on the graphical side, plus it's rather late and I need to get to bed. Anyway, here's my questions:

- What are the advantages to upgrading (i.e. more bundled software, newer versions of software, more stable, etc)

- What does the official (paid for) version have that the free version doesn't have? (from what I've seen it's just documentation and tech support)

- How easy is it on system resources? My desktop is the linux box and it has 256 MB of DDR SDRAM, a 32 MB on board video card and an 850 Mhz AMD Duron processor. Would it have a harder time running it than it has with 2005 LE?

- How has Samba changed because accessing Windows shares is crucial to me (my laptop and friends all have Windows).

- Overall for those of you who have used 2005 LE and 2006, was it worth the upgrade?

I can answer some of your questions - apart from the Samba one - 'cos I've just upgraded. So here goes:

Yes ... newer software versions, and 2006 definitely boots faster than 2005. Don't know about more stable ... I had to uninstall Amarok because it went mad and took over all my system resources. Oh well. 2006 uses gtk 2 which means you'll lose XMMs (which depends on version 1.something.)

The pay for version has what you said, plus non-free software. Realplayer, Acrobat Reader etc... I usually install these myself. It should also contain more hardware support ... It's still a big distro.

I don't think you'd have a harder time running. Actually 2006 takes up less disk space that 2005 ... a nice surprise. The trouble is everyone's hardware is different so it's very hard to predict.

It was worth it, apart from one very annoying issue - two in my case. There's no shutdown button when you log out Also my printer won't work, but I think I can resolve this.

IMHO this is the best Mandriva so far apart from a couple of issues, but those are nothing very important ... Not when you consider the price difference between the "Other Product" and the Penguin.

EDIT: One more thing which might scare you a bit. What happened to OpenGL support? I've edited this post a lot! Mesa isn't installed by default so I typed urpmi Mesa, but I have a poor frame rate in Unreal Torny. I have an ATI graphics card. Time to upgrade!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!

Re: Upgrading from 2005 Limited Edition

Quote Originally Posted by linuxuser40351
    I'm currently running Mandriva 2005 Limited Edition and have never had any problems whatsoever out of it, but I figured I would ask you guys a few questions because I'm thinking of upgrading to 2006. I would have searched mandriva.com but I'm at my parents' house for Thanksgiving and I'm stuck on their 28k dial up, and the mandriva.com page is a little on the graphical side, plus it's rather late and I need to get to bed. Anyway, here's my questions:

- What are the advantages to upgrading (i.e. more bundled software, newer versions of software, more stable, etc)

- What does the official (paid for) version have that the free version doesn't have? (from what I've seen it's just documentation and tech support)

- How easy is it on system resources? My desktop is the linux box and it has 256 MB of DDR SDRAM, a 32 MB on board video card and an 850 Mhz AMD Duron processor. Would it have a harder time running it than it has with 2005 LE?

- How has Samba changed because accessing Windows shares is crucial to me (my laptop and friends all have Windows).

- Overall for those of you who have used 2005 LE and 2006, was it worth the upgrade?
    Hi, Just to add my 2 bits worth.. 2005 was & still is rock solid. I have done both an upgrade & a clean install of 2006. OK the upgrade went as well as can be accepted (upgrade IMHO is not the best way to go) The kernel has obviously changed which meant recompiling a few bits of software (VMware etc). The Xorg has changed to 2.6.9 cvs which is a big no no for me as I run twin monitor setup & no way will this work for me (one of the big reasons is that the module structure has changed a little) Kat is installed by default which I felt a big resource hogger (uninstalled that) So basically the upgrade was not good for me. So then did a clean install. As the other poster commented the boot up is a lot faster. NDISwrapper worked very well first time with my USR PCI wireless card which impressed me, but as I said before the Xorg was a big show stopper for me. My conclusion is that I will wait till 2006 has matured a little. What I did was upgrade KDE to 3.4.3 which seems to be quite stable & left 2006 for another couple of months...

HTH

Just Joined!
    Just upgraded to 2006 from LE 2005 last night. I think it was worth it. 2k6 boots alot faster than 2k5 did. Haven't been running it long enough to talk about reliability of it, but I haven't run into any problems as of yet. Main improvements to me, other than the improved boot time, is the addition of KAT for searching your desktop, the upgrade to amarok 1.3, and the upgrade to KDE 3.4. IMHO upgrading the software included with your distro is no big deal, I had already upgraded OOo and amarok under 2k5, but upgrading KDE without upgrading the entire distro is a royal grade-a pain in the a**!! Unfortunately, some app upgrades rely on the upgraded KDE. For instance, I had been trying to upgrade amarok to 1.3, but it wouldn't go beyond 1.2 without KDE 3.4. Anyway, that's just my 2cents worth, hope it helps.

Just Joined!
    I just bought a Dell PC and tried to load 2005 LE 64 on it. Iit boots but after that I get a blank screen that says the "monitor has incorrect configuration"

It's a new Dell analog 17 inch flat panel. Any clues as to what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by seanl
    I just bought a Dell PC and tried to load 2005 LE 64 on it. Iit boots but after that I get a blank screen that says the "monitor has incorrect configuration"

It's a new Dell analog 17 inch flat panel. Any clues as to what to do?
    When you tried to install it did you test the monitor? There's an option to do that. Did you select the correct monitor from the list when you got to that part of the installation? Make sure you've set the monitor to the correct resolution and refresh rate.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    you have to edit the config.conf file i think its called and you have to manually set the paramters of borders, resolutuons etc, forgot the exact name of the file and were its located

Read this thread. It should help a lot.

Just Joined!
    lol yes hehehe, that helped me

its xorg.conf

hahahah

Just Joined!

Monitor problems

I have recently installed mandriva linux 2005 limited editon and havnt been able to use it because during installation i could never get good results upon testing my monitor. my graphics card is <b>S3 UNICHROME PRO IGP</B> but i have a emachines monitor and cannot configure it properly i have tried using the generic type 60hz 1024 x 768 resolution (which my monitor is) but i cant get any good results. any help would be great! i am new to linux so i dont know much about it but i want to learn more. thanx