Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by micmac303 I do get the splash screen. I'll check the log for errors, thanks. What is "dkms"? Sorry its an autoinstaller service for NVidia (I believe!)...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by micmac303
    I do get the splash screen.

I'll check the log for errors, thanks.

What is "dkms"?
    Sorry its an autoinstaller service for NVidia (I believe!)

Just Joined!
    The service ¨dkms¨ may be running which will explain your errors during boot. After you re-install (if you decide to..) try disabling that services from the control panel & see how you get on...
    How do i disable dkms?

You can turn off the DKMS service in the Mandriva Control Centre. After you modprobe the nVidia driver you may also have to add the word 'nvidia' to the file /etc/modules.preload or at least this was previously the case. This ensures the module loads, as for some reason it was not always detected in time as a module and thus made getting to X a hit or miss event.

Just Joined!
    Sorry to be a total noob, but how exactly do I disable dkms?

And will it have any unwanted side-effects?

Just Joined!
    hm. this same thing happened to me except my computer froze at random times for no reason(last time installing wine) ... So i couldn't safely turn my computer off. So i pressed the On/Off button on the cpu to turn it off. I did this too many times and my motherboard got fried ... a new one is coming from NewEgg soon... Weird thing is, is that i think i have that same video card. Do you have a dell dimension 4800?

Just Joined!
    No, I don't have a Dell Dimension 4800. I have a custom-built machine with GIGABYTE(TM) motherboard.

From the research I have done it seems quite a few people have this problem with NVIDIA cards, see the nvida forum:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/foru...?s=&forumid=14

Some people have resolved the random freezing by installing older drivers. I now have an older driver and my machine crashes less, but still crashes
    Usually when I try to play video.

This is about my third or fourth attempt (over a few years) to move to linux and once again I'm close to returning to MS Windows and I REALLY don't want to.

Let me know if you manage to resolve the issue.

M

Just Joined!
    I've decided to give up on Mandriva and give suse a go - it claims to have full support for my graphics card.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2