Find the answer to your Linux question:
hhhmmmmm this is wierd, i installedmandriva and the games that come with it barely run. its soooo jerky. i was under the impression it would at least run them. i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

sooo crap with graphics?

hhhmmmmm this is wierd, i installedmandriva and the games that come with it barely run. its soooo jerky. i was under the impression it would at least run them.

i seen doom for linux and there would be no way of it running when a silly little game doesnt work..

what am i doing wrong?

my specs are:
    amd 3200 64bit
    512mb dual channel
    ati 9800pro
    20gig maxtor hdd

Quote Originally Posted by garylouden
    ati 9800pro
    thats your problem there. A few of the games you are trying to play might require 3D support, and radeons are notorious for their lack of 3d support in linux. However, ati has some drivers out, so goto their site and check it out, and if you are willing, install them.

Next time, it would be better to get a nvidia card.

Also note:: I don't have an ati card so I have no experience installing its drivers etc...
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    Quote Originally Posted by garylouden
    ati 9800pro
    thats your problem there. A few of the games you are trying to play might require 3D support, and radeons are notorious for their lack of 3d support in linux. However, ati has some drivers out, so goto their site and check it out, and if you are willing, install them.

Next time, it would be better to get a nvidia card.

Also note:: I don't have an ati card so I have no experience installing its drivers etc...
    Ati drivers are relativley easy to install with their new installer, and their support for 3D in linux is getting bettet, not at par with NVidia yet, but decent. I am tired of all the ATI card bashing for 'crappy 3D support', I get at least a decent 60FPS on my 1.2GhZ AMD Duron with ~490MB of ram, not to mention I don't have the $$$ to spend on a fancy NVidia card either. Anyways, just download the installer of ati's site, make sure you have your kernel sources first, run fglrxconfig and restart your machine(or X) and it should start in a 1280x1024 resolution, than you should be good to go,
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

ati

I am using an ati radeon x300 on my mandriva box and it works great! i have been doing so much tweaking with this new box i can't remember, but i believe i was offered the choice upon install of Mandriva 2006.0 and it has worked flawlessly.
    - Clouds don't crash - Bertrand Meyer

registered Linux user 393557

finally - hw to brag about - but next year it will look pitifully quaint:
    Athlon64 X2 3800 - 1G PC3200 - 250G SATA - ati radeon x300
    circa 2006

Yep, I confirm.

Easy install, easy 3D, those ATI drivers are getting better and better.

This what I get out of my el-cheapo Radeon 9550:
    Code:
    mastah@hugues:~/bertha/Hugues/LINUX/DEBIAN$ glxgears
    8067 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1613.400 FPS
    9889 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1977.800 FPS
    9885 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1977.000 FPS
    9812 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1962.400 FPS
    9893 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1978.600 FPS
    9890 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1978.000 FPS
    Nothing spectacular, and I too love NVIDIA stuff, but it's nothing to cry about.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee