Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Thanks for the much needed 'How To'. I have embedded media in Firefox. Now to test the rest I need to download a few things [using Azureus]. I also downloaded ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question

Thanks for the much needed 'How To'. I have embedded media in Firefox. Now to test the rest I need to download a few things [using Azureus]. I also downloaded and installed RealPlayerGOLD10 and Flashplayer 7.0.61.0. They installed to my home directory. Is this the best location for them? If not where should they be moved to or does it matter? If I need tomove them can it be done with the move command?

In installing software does the installer automatically install them where they need to be?

Just Joined!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Red Knuckles
    Thanks for the much needed 'How To'. I have embedded media in Firefox. Now to test the rest I need to download a few things [using Azureus]. I also downloaded and installed RealPlayerGOLD10 and Flashplayer 7.0.61.0. They installed to my home directory. Is this the best location for them? If not where should they be moved to or does it matter? If I need tomove them can it be done with the move command?

In installing software does the installer automatically install them where they need to be?
    Well, I downloaded a movie and was able to play it on Mplayer, Xine, and Totem so all seems to work. Many Thanks again. Still wondering if RealPlayer and Flash are installed to the proper location. Flash does appear to work in Firefox.

Linux Newbie
    Programs are not usually picky about location. If it's installed and working, even if it's in your home directory, you should be fine. Moving the directory may break any links that were made and cause you some hassles, so I'd leave it alone. The only thing you don't really want to give yourself read and write permissions to is anything above your home directory pertaining to the system. That should be left up to the root account just for safety's sake. Programs usually put themselves right where they need to be, especially if it's a .rpm package. Compiling is a little more customizable, but also a lot more of a pain in the butt when it comes to dependancies.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Cool kaffiene it also helps keep me awake..!!

i've got mandriva 2006 and i'm using kaffiene and man it plays everything but copyrighted movies.. haven't looked at fixing it yet but all my audio files work perfectly.. love my music and kaffiene i love.. most of my dvd's are dloads or bought and only a few don't play, i know i'll be back to cure that problem soon, as winflaws xp plays them, now i've fixed the present problems in that... try kaffiene on kde, works welll!!!!!!!!!

Just Joined! jester@starband.net's Avatar

RE: Playing Windows Media Files in Mandriva/Mandrake Linux

<snipped>

<qoute>
    3) If you want to use mplayer finish this step, if not skip to step 4. Run
    Code:
    urpmi mplayer-gui
    This is the graphical user interface for mplayer. It should ask your permission to install some additional needed packages. Just agree to them, by jumping ahead to installing the gui you skip having to run individual commands to install the key program files for mplayer because it does it automatically.

4) This plugin works regardless of whether you install the mplayer gui or not. If you want to use Kaffeine or another movie player instead of mplayer then I still recommend you install the Mozilla Firefox plugin for mplayer. It allows you to view/listen to embedded media files. To do this run
    Code:
    urpmi mplayerplugin
    This also will ask your permission to install additional packages, agree. It will install the core mplayer program files and the firefox plugin, but will not install the gui so it will not be added to your applications menu.</quote>

The only problem I have experienced with installing the mplayerGUI is that the GUI can conflict with transcode. This isn't a big deal if you don't plan on encoding any a/v using transcode. I believe this issue is documented in the transcode docs.

Nice howto for the newbies though. Well done.

Brad

Linux Newbie
    I just updated the post to include instructions on keeping your plugins working if you want to use the downloadable tarball version of Firefox that comes from the website, and how to install Real Player.

Just Joined!
    I am trying to install the mplayerplugin for Firefox 1.5.0.1. I got the mplayerplugin via "urpmi mplayerplugin," but when I do this, it asks to download mozilla-firefox as well. It works on that browser, but not on my most recent firefox (which i got from a tarbell). I was wondering if anyone knew how to map these plugins so that it will work in firefox 1.5.0.1??

THanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2