Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hiya folks ! I installed Firefox 1.5 on my Mandriva2006 through the source, and it worked just fine. Alas, the mplayer plugin didn't manage to work with 1.5, probably the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Opinion request : shall we see a Firefox 1.5 RPM ?

Hiya folks !

I installed Firefox 1.5 on my Mandriva2006 through the source, and it worked just fine.
    Alas, the mplayer plugin didn't manage to work with 1.5, probably the wrong files in the wrong place, though I carefully noted what was in /usr/lib/mozilla and usr/lib/mozilla-firefox, and placed it in the FF1.5 folder.
    So I have a completely useless firefox unable to play media files embedded in pages -> I resumed to using my rpm-based Firefox 1.0.6

In your opinion, will Mandriva, some day, provide us with an RPM for such a major release as firefox 1.5 ? ^_^

(or if you find an alternative repository with such an RPM, even though PLF does not have it, i'd be interested ^^)

Re: Opinion request : shall we see a Firefox 1.5 RPM ?

Quote Originally Posted by sabin
    Hiya folks !

I installed Firefox 1.5 on my Mandriva2006 through the source, and it worked just fine.
    Alas, the mplayer plugin didn't manage to work with 1.5, probably the wrong files in the wrong place, though I carefully noted what was in /usr/lib/mozilla and usr/lib/mozilla-firefox, and placed it in the FF1.5 folder.
    So I have a completely useless firefox unable to play media files embedded in pages -> I resumed to using my rpm-based Firefox 1.0.6

In your opinion, will Mandriva, some day, provide us with an RPM for such a major release as firefox 1.5 ? ^_^

(or if you find an alternative repository with such an RPM, even though PLF does not have it, i'd be interested ^^)
    Why from source, FFX for linux has an excellent GUI installer with BINARIES, not that anything is wrong with source(my preffered method) but the installer would probably do a better job for most users.
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

My mistake : it was the binaries I downloaded ^^;;
    I'm too used to downloading the source and "config-make-makeinstall", I wrote absent-mindedly ^^
    Though my question remains :/

Linux Enthusiast
    i know this might not help your question, but i'm also having this problem....after installing firefox 1.5 through portage (through gentoo). it plays the sound that accompanies the video but i never see the video

There might be a bug wigh the version 1.5 we'd be starting to discover ?
    Just in case, which is your video player plugin, josolanes ? Mine is Mplayer-Plugin.

When I start a page with an embedded video, there's a quarter of a second during which the usual "mplayer plugin" text appears in the future-to-be video zone, and then a black space takes the place of the video zone, while the sound plays allright.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by sabin
    There might be a bug wigh the version 1.5 we'd be starting to discover ?
    Just in case, which is your video player plugin, josolanes ? Mine is Mplayer-Plugin.

When I start a page with an embedded video, there's a quarter of a second during which the usual "mplayer plugin" text appears in the future-to-be video zone, and then a black space takes the place of the video zone, while the sound plays allright.
    i also use mplayerplug-in (that's what it's called in gentoo...but it's the same thing ) and i get the exact same thing you're describing.

i started a thread in the "Linux Applications" (http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-62178.html) section to see if everyone else has this problem. so far, Nerderello responded saying he has no embedded video playback either but he's using the kaffeine plugin

When I went to install 1.5, I wanted to remove 1.0.7 as well. When I went to remove 1.0.7, pacman (package manager) said that mplayerplug-in was a dependency and I couldn't therefore remove 1.0.7. I then removed mplayerplug-in and then 1.0.7, installed 1.5 and then finally re-installed mplayerplug-in. Give that a shot.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

That wouldn't be possible in the same way for me with Mandriva, alas.

The RPM-based firefox has a very particular folder-arrangement system (/usr/bin, /usr/lib/mozilla and /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox), while a binaries-based firefox downloaded from mozilla.org uses only two folders (his own and /~/.mozilla/firefox).

And the mplayer-plugin provided through RPM uses the folders the RPM-firefox uses.

What I have tried is copying every file created by the mplayer-plugin RPM into the firefox binaries folder (extentions and components folders). But no success, I have my current bug.

Oh well, my favorite firefox theme not being fully compatible yet with Firefox 1.5, I'll have to wait a bit before migrating to FF 1.5 ^^
    (sigh, I guess there's no hoping that Mandriva would provide an RPM for Firefox 1.5 )

That wouldn't be possible in the same way for me with Mandriva, alas.

The RPM-based firefox has a very particular folder-arrangement system (/usr/bin, /usr/lib/mozilla and /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox), while a binaries-based firefox downloaded from mozilla.org uses only two folders (his own and /~/.mozilla/firefox).

And the mplayer-plugin provided through RPM uses the folders the RPM-firefox uses.

What I have tried is copying every file created by the mplayer-plugin RPM into the firefox binaries folder (extentions and components folders). But no success, I have my current bug.

Oh well, my favorite firefox theme not being fully compatible yet with Firefox 1.5, I'll have to wait a bit before migrating to FF 1.5 ^^
    (sigh, I guess there's no hoping that Mandriva would provide an RPM for Firefox 1.5 )

Edit : partial news : there is hope.
    http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/R...81962072987550

You could try one of the Suse Firefox 1.5 rpms: ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/mozilla/firefox/1.5/

No guarantees though.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast