Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, Is it possible to install Mandrake Free 2006 with Gnome instead of KDE? Does it ask for the option during initial installation? Another question: Is the following a KDE ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gnome in Mandrake Free 2006

Hello,

Is it possible to install Mandrake Free 2006 with Gnome instead of KDE? Does it ask for the option during initial installation?

Another question: Is the following a KDE specific feature?

In FC4 Gnome when I click on logout it will ask for new login. But in Mandrake Free 2006 KDE it locks the session and starts a new one. Then I have an option to lock it again and start a new session and then I have two sessions of same user. It said something about special F-key to switch in between sessions, but never got to work it.

Thanks for your help!

Gnome

Hi - I'm not a Gnome user - but my dvd of Mandriva 2006 Official came with both Gnome and KDE.

This is a distro that i got from budgetlinuxcds.com for US $3.50 which is not Free but is pretty cheap ;--)

Have fun
    - Clouds don't crash - Bertrand Meyer

registered Linux user 393557

finally - hw to brag about - but next year it will look pitifully quaint:
    Athlon64 X2 3800 - 1G PC3200 - 250G SATA - ati radeon x300
    circa 2006

Linux Enthusiast
    I think that it is a KDE specific feature, well, as far as I am aware it is, don't use either of them, so cant be totally sure.

Just Joined!
    i know gnome comes with samba preconfigured , thats why i choose

Quote Originally Posted by onlinebacon
    I think that it is a KDE specific feature, well, as far as I am aware it is, don't use either of them, so cant be totally sure.
    I know that FC4 has a login (X) page and you can do things like change window managers at the login page. Therefor, i don't think its KDE specific. I think this is part of Grub - I don't like that kind of thing so i don't know intimate details.

If you arte using Grub check /boot/grub/grun.conf and see if you can spot the line or lines that setup the bioot process.

If you are using lilo, try /etc/lilo.conf. I would also poke around in /etc/init.d
    - Clouds don't crash - Bertrand Meyer

registered Linux user 393557

finally - hw to brag about - but next year it will look pitifully quaint:
    Athlon64 X2 3800 - 1G PC3200 - 250G SATA - ati radeon x300
    circa 2006

Two things :

- with control-alt-F7/8/9/6/5/4/3/2/1 you can switch between sessions. When there is no session open you'll just see a command prompt. The default session is F7.

- in order to be able to start a new session while there's another still being open in the same time, you need to chose a connexion manager that allows you to do that.
    If your connexion manager won't allow you to do that, you will have to log out in order to be able to start a new session. In the contrary, if the session manager allows it, you'll have the option "change user > start a new session".
    On my Mandriva 2006, only Kdm (KDE display manager ?) and Mdk-dm allow me to do that. Kdm is provided with KDE, while I had to get Mdk-dm through urpmi. But Mdk-dm is buggy with my Mandriva2006, so finally I'm using Kdm.