Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, Loaded all of the Wine programs from a mirror after a bit of trouble, but they all seemed to load. Went back to the installed to confirm I had ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wine Install Issue (Mandrake 10.0 official)

Hello,

Loaded all of the Wine programs from a mirror after a bit of trouble, but they all seemed to load. Went back to the installed to confirm I had all, and it thinks there is nothing more. Using Mandrake 10.0 Official. Can't seem to get it running. None of the wine bottle icons come up when I insert a disk, and when I go to the Wine Control Panel, it tells me it 'cannot load any applets'. The Wine file manager seems to come up fine and be complete, as well as the Wine configuration tool. Not sure what additional information I can provide re the problem. Probably missing something really simple.....

Any help or hints greatly appreciated. Let me know what to look for with respect to diagnostics and I will report back.

thanks -- Roger

what happens when you run:
    Code:
    wine somewindowsprogram.exe
    from the command line. Or just wine --version. Do you get any output?
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    Reply to "wine somewindowsprogram.exe" was 'cannot find 'somewindowsprogram.exe""
    Response to wine --version is "wine 20040213'
    I also tried to run wine via the run command, but it started and ran to oblivion.....

Let me know what else I can do to help troubleshoot.....

Thanks and regards -- Roger

Your version belongs to year 2004, when Wine was still alpha software.
    With version 0.9 Wine has become beta software. Let's translate : wine works better with more programs.

Your 2004 version should still work, but heck, who knows, you might have had it badly installed.

I suggest this : you uninstall your current wine version, and then install the new version.

The new version can be installed from source (aw : plan to have 600 megabytes eaten, d'oh !), or through URPMI. I have gotten the latest version from URPMI (I don't remember if it was through official updates or through PLF), so you should be able to do the same

Just Joined!

Wine UPRMI source

Thanks for the info. The version is really old and probably the problem. I was trying to stay with UPRMI to keep my system from falling apart, and will see if I can find out where I can download from using UPRMI. If you happen to remember your source, please let me know. I will poke around in the mean time and try to find one.....

Thanks and regards -- Roger

My source is PLF (I gave before an incorrect URL) : http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

Just Joined!

Only Wine 20040213 (still....)

Hi,

Thanks for the lead. Added that source, and it turns out that I still only get the Wine 20040213. Must be a source for a current version out there somewhere....... hopefully this is not a user error and it is just there in the existing sources waiting for me!!

Thanks -- Roger

here is the madrake rpm package for the newest wine from sourceforge

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ckage_id=80066

make sure you read install notes this should tell you specifically what to do to iinstall. And make sure you uninstall old version--these instructions may or may not be in install notes.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!

Wine location

Thanks - I am on it!! Hopefully install will go smoothly.....

Regards -- Roger

I'll add a side note : there's a new Wine Tools version, thanks God, working with Wine 0.9x versions :o :P

Check the adress for that @ winehq.org

Besides, you might want to check frankscorner.org

As for the RPM problem, I guess there simply is no RPM package for your current mandriva distro, older than one year and half another year. There's an RPM for MDV2006, though.

Have fun with that marvelous program :o)