Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everybody, I'm pretty new with linux and not always successful in all I want from it. I have a P4 2.8Mhz computer that runs Win and Mandriva very well, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Please HELP!!! no internet connection

Hi everybody,

I'm pretty new with linux and not always successful in all I want from it.
    I have a P4 2.8Mhz computer that runs Win and Mandriva very well, both with good internet connection (cable).
    Recently somebody gave me an old Dell Optiplex G1 (PII 400Mhz/128RAM/8Gb HDD). I decided to make it a server and create a local network for my main computer and maybe for a future laptop.
    I installed Mandriva 2005 LE but for some reason it doesn't want to recognize my connection to the internet as the other computer does through DHCP. I also tried manually to configure it with the IP address and all the other settings that the other computer is using - still no luck.
    Am I doing something wrong?...
    As far as I know the only difference between this install and the one on my regular computer is that I set the security to higher - which is reccomended for a future server...
    I installed a secondary network card and connected my other computer thourgh a crossed wired cable and the computers see each other in the network...but no internet....
    Can you help me please?....I've been spending too much time now trying to figure out the problem...even tried to find some help in all the books I have about linux...but none of them is discussing how to connect a linux machine to internet via a cable modem.

Thanks guys!

Linux Newbie

net connection

If using MDV 10.2 and ethernet connection to DSL. Go to MCC and select internet and network. Choose setup up new connection. select LAN. Select your eth NIC card. Use automatic (not static) setup. Make sure firewall is disable temporarily. Check the connect to everything box in MCC security center.
    good luck

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot! I already made it work....it was because I was using a different computer, which of course means different NIC that was not recognized by my cable modem. Once I reset it, it worked like a charm!!!
    Now I have a beautifull Linux server connected to the Internet and my other machine as a dual boot windows/linux client!

Thanks again! Linux Rules!