Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, its seems to be a common problem but none of the solutions ive found seem to work. ok i had Win2k and Mandrake 10.1 as a dual boot. the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Re-linking mandriva to GRUB

Hi, its seems to be a common problem but none of the solutions ive found seem to work.
    ok i had Win2k and Mandrake 10.1 as a dual boot. the windows partition was ghosted with a new image, so it over-wrote the MBR. i have now successfully restored the GRUB and i have my Windows/linux options. However, when i select Linux, it doesnt boot, it just stalls. can anyone tell me how to get the GRUB to point to the OS on the right HD?

Red face

I would read this Grub tutorial. It contains the answers you want.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Newbie
    Have you changed the partitions in some eay ? If yes, you can try changing the root=/dev/hda? to the right partition. To do this you will have to hit the 'e' key with linux option highlighted (In GRUB's boot menu) and hit 'e' again to edit the line.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Hmm.. another option would be to boot with your Rescue Disk (if you have one) of your distribution, it's generally the installation cd, and fix GRUB from there.
    serzsite.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won\'t save you from yourself"

Wink

The "upgrade" through the install CD has that only problem that it will reset the urpmi sources. If you want to avoid that there's a very twisted solution : boot up with a live-CD linux distro like knoppix or live-ubuntu, use qparted/gparted to see on which device is your linux system partition, and manually edit grub's configuration file ^^