Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Compaq Presario Desktop SR1518IL . Whenever i try to boot from the Mandriva 2006 Mini CD the system restarts for no apparent reason. I tried using the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Mandriva 2006 Installation Problem Compaq Presario SR1518IL

I have a Compaq Presario Desktop SR1518IL .
    Whenever i try to boot from the Mandriva 2006 Mini CD the system restarts for no apparent reason. I tried using the install floppy with the cdrom.img file but it was of no help;same for hd-grub install(using the hd-grub.img). I get the same problem when installing other distributions of linux(e.g. Fedora, Suse)Even a live-cd won't work.Installation of windows ,however,poses no problem.
    My System Configuration:

P-IV 2.26 GHZ
    128 MB RAM
    40 GB WESTERN DIGITAL HARD DISK
    CURRENTLY RUNNING WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL.

boot options

Hi - and welcome to the forums - It sounds like you may need to try some boot options. When you boot from CD try pressing F1 when the first prompt comes up. There may be some instructions - look for the instructions about getting a list of options... usually F2 ... Then get the list - you may want to try noapic. This shuts of the automatic power control stuff, which some systems have problems with - If that dosn't work - experiment. You may need to turn dma off for example.

Have fun -
    - Clouds don't crash - Bertrand Meyer

registered Linux user 393557

finally - hw to brag about - but next year it will look pitifully quaint:
    Athlon64 X2 3800 - 1G PC3200 - 250G SATA - ati radeon x300
    circa 2006