Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, on my HardDrive I have two partitions; one for linux (15GB) and one for windows (65GB). Now I want to reformat my computer... completely. With both partitions gone and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Planning to reformat computer

Ok, on my HardDrive I have two partitions; one for linux (15GB) and one for windows (65GB). Now I want to reformat my computer... completely. With both partitions gone and both Windows and Linux gone.
    Then after that, I want to reinstall both Windows and Mandriva Linux. But I want the partitions like this:
    Windows files (whatever size is needed)
    Linux files (whatever size is needed)
    Files partition (the rest of hard drive)
    I want to be able to access the files partition from both windows and linux. Just the necessary files for Windows and Linux to run are on the partitions respectively, but these files only. But I know that they both install their own directory system onto their own partitions.
    What is the best way for me to reformat my entire computer, then set my computer to do what I want it to do? I have Mandriva 10.1 and Windows XP Home. Could anybody please give me detailed instructions on how to do each thing step by step?
    Thank you so very very much.

Create two partitions for Windows - one NTFS, one FAT32. On the NTFS partition you can install Windows system files. You can treat the FAT32 partition as a place where both Windows and Linux can read/write.

Next install Mandriva. It should detect the Windows partitions, install grub bootloader selections (and maybe even an /etc/fstab entry for the FAT32 partition).

That should do it.

Just Joined!

Well

Well what about reformating the entire computer? Aswell as getting rid of partitions?
    And does the Windows installation give you an option for partitions?

Both the installers (Windows and Mandriva) should have partitioning and formatting tools. If you feel you need a step-by-step guide for every click of the way, you might look around the web for installation guides.

Post-installation you might need to use whatever disk administration tool Windows provides to create the FAT32 partition. Remember to leave space for it.

Now please calm down Mr Rabbit. I just saw Donnie Darko, and I'm very afraid of rabbits.

Just Joined!
    Lol, good guess at where I got my name from.
    You wouldn't mind writing out a step by step tutorial for it would you? *puppy eyes*
    I think I'm meant to do it like this:
    1) Put Windows install CD in and choose to install a fresh copy
    2) Delete all partitions and create 2 new ones, one of which is 8GB for windows and the other which is about 64GB and FAT32. (This leaves another 8GB)
    3) Then install Linux onto the free space.

I think this is right.
    Another thing... how does Windows refer to partitions? Like on Linux the partitions are in mnt. What does Windows do?

The steps you described will be fine.

For Windows every partition - whether it is primary or extended/logical - is a logical drive (C:, D:, E:, etc.).

So in Linux we have a single root, which is /, and there can be filesystems mounted to various subdirectories. In Windows every logical drive is a root.

Just Joined!
    Apparantly "You have to mount the FAT partition to linux on boot otherwise you have to do it everytime". But I haven't a clue what that means. Could anybody explain?
    And does anybody know what partition sizes I will need for the Windows Home Edition one and the Mandriva 10.1 3CD edition one? (I think about 8GB each.)

Apparantly "You have to mount the FAT partition to linux on boot otherwise you have to do it everytime". But I haven't a clue what that means. Could anybody explain?
    This is probably referring to adding an /etc/fstab entry for your FAT32 partition. If you don't have one, you will have to mount it manually.