Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello, my buddy wants me to network his 2 imac G3's (ones a 350, ones a 400) with his mandriva pc, he wants file and printer/internet sharing ... he has ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

networking 2 imac G3's with mandriva 10.1

Hello, my buddy wants me to network his 2 imac G3's (ones a 350, ones a 400) with his mandriva pc, he wants file and printer/internet sharing ... he has a D-Link DI-604 router with a 4port switch...how would i go about networking the 3? would the router work for this? or would i have to install 2 nics in the linux box? thanks in advance for all your help

Cool

you just need to use the router. i assume that DHCP is enabled on the router? if so, pretty much plug and play. is the router connected to dsl/cable modem? if so, the router will handle internet sharing. you will just need to configure printer sharing...which box has the printer connected to it?

Linux Enthusiast
    Try researching the topic then ask questions once you encounter problems with networking. Your questions are too vague to render a reply shorter than a mini text book.

Just Joined!
    my mandriva 10.1 has the printer connected to it...thats basically what im having trouble with is setting up file and printer sharing

Just Joined!
    i have the one imac g3 400 on the net, wiped out mac 9.2 an slapped in ubuntu, tried every thing i know, cant network the ubuntu box with the mandriva 10.1 , im thinking i need a certain program? not sure...any help is greatly appreciated ...thanks every1

Research into samba.
    Registered GNU/Linux User #399198
    'Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.' -Steven Wright

Linux Newbie
    So there in one Mandriva PC and two iMacs, one running OS9 and the other running Ubuntu?

My suggestion is creating a NFS share on the mandriva box. You'll need to edit /etc/exports for this. It is simple. Then from ubuntu you should open the terminal and issue

sudo mount -t nfs serveripaddress:/nfs/share /mount/point

I don't know what you could use in OS 9 to mount a NFS share, however Google may know.

If there is a possibility of running OSX there is a sweet little program called NFS Manager that will automount shares

For printers, I'm not too sure of a solution. Some types of CUPS configuration maybe?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by aimstolemylife
    So there in one Mandriva PC and two iMacs, one running OS9 and the other running Ubuntu?
    no...at the moment just one imac thats running ubuntu, the other one is due in weds, either going with os 10.2 jaguar or gentoo in it ... and most likely its just going to be hooked to the network, no sharing needed on that one

Just Joined!
    i followed every thing on the samba site to the letter...gives me errors that it cant connect, but on the ubuntu imac it shows MDKGROUP but when i try to access it, it says it cant connect...im lost like a blonde in a shoe store

Just Joined!
    i wonder could it because i have 10 base T hub instead of a router?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast