Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been researching how to get my SB live 5.1 card to actually work as it is supposed to in Mandrake 10.1, only to find myself with unacceptable rear ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Linux Sound

I have been researching how to get my SB live 5.1 card to actually work as it is supposed to in Mandrake 10.1, only to find myself with unacceptable rear speaker output. Is there a card that actually performs as it is supposed to in Linux (Without serious Technical Knowlege). Any help would be appreciated!

There are hundreds of cards that perform as advertised in Linux, but I think what you're asking for is a 5.1 Surround Sound card? I can't help you there, but for regular old 2D sound any card based on the C-Media 8738 or Intel AC'97 chipsets should work just fine.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Indeed, I was looking for 5.1 for gaming. The SB card I have been using works great with 2.1 as does the nforce audio codec, on my MB. I was just looking for stuff to work as advertised. (Silly Me) By the way TechieMoe I love your site I checked that out yesterday, pretty good stuff there. & thanx for the reply

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by whimpy
    Indeed, I was looking for 5.1 for gaming. The SB card I have been using works great with 2.1 as does the nforce audio codec, on my MB. I was just looking for stuff to work as advertised. (Silly Me) By the way TechieMoe I love your site I checked that out yesterday, pretty good stuff there. & thanx for the reply
    Glad you like it. I know this is probably being picky, but did your SB 5.1 card actually "advertise" that it worked with Linux?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I have got a C-Media onboard AC97 sound card and when i played a sound using Mandrake 9.2 it came out all fuzzy and most of the sound was white noise.

Quote Originally Posted by whimpy
    I have been researching how to get my SB live 5.1 card to actually work as it is supposed to in Mandrake 10.1, only to find myself with unacceptable rear speaker output. Is there a card that actually performs as it is supposed to in Linux (Without serious Technical Knowlege). Any help would be appreciated!
    The chipset of this sound blaster Live! 5.1 is "emu10k1", so make sure the corresponding "snd-card-emu10k1" is loaded,
    Code:
    lsmod | grep emu
    ... to check if it is.

If not,
    Code:
    modprobe snd-card-emu10k1
    More info there (the alsa compile part, you shouldn't care).

Create a "/etc/asound.conf" or "/home/youself/.asoundrc" that specifies the use of the right chipset:
    Code:
    pcm.emu10k1 {
               type hw
               card 0
            }

ctl.emu10k1 {
               type hw
               card 0
            }
    Hope this puts you on the right track...
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee