Find the answer to your Linux question:
Every time I hit the space bar when typing, the entire page jumps up about 10 lines- any suggestions? Now the main question - I have Mandrake 10.2 Beta 3 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Mandriva 2006 - Mandrake 10.2 Beta 3

Every time I hit the space bar when typing, the entire page jumps up about 10 lines- any suggestions? Now the main question - I have Mandrake 10.2 Beta 3 installed on a separate partition with Windows on a second partition. Bootloader is on floppy. I have not been able to install Mandriva 2006 over the top of Mandrake. Any help on procedure w/b appreciated. I bought Mandriva on CD and got 3 mo. tech support - for free - and it was worth it too - no one at the expert site ever responded to my several inquiries. Maybe someone on the forum can put me in email communication with a live humanoid at the expert site. Please pardon the complaining on this my first thread. I am not a complete novice on computers, but I am behind the linux curve for sure. I really want to use linux and leave the evil empire of Windows. One further matter; I bought Dreamworks Crossover program for using Windows programs under linux. I never got it to work and can't find an email or telephone number for them. Thanks again for any help. Best wishes to all. Jack

Quote Originally Posted by jackcowen
    Every time I hit the space bar when typing, the entire page jumps up about 10 lines- any suggestions? Now the main question - I have Mandrake 10.2 Beta 3 installed on a separate partition with Windows on a second partition. Bootloader is on floppy. I have not been able to install Mandriva 2006 over the top of Mandrake. Any help on procedure w/b appreciated. I bought Mandriva on CD and got 3 mo. tech support - for free - and it was worth it too - no one at the expert site ever responded to my several inquiries. Maybe someone on the forum can put me in email communication with a live humanoid at the expert site. Please pardon the complaining on this my first thread. I am not a complete novice on computers, but I am behind the linux curve for sure. I really want to use linux and leave the evil empire of Windows. One further matter; I bought Dreamworks Crossover program for using Windows programs under linux. I never got it to work and can't find an email or telephone number for them. Thanks again for any help. Best wishes to all. Jack
    All that sounds really weird.

You should (in theory) be able to put the 2006 install disc in and just boot the system and that should start the installer - which you just tell to "use existing linux partitions".

I mean are we talking 1 hard disc with 2 partitions? or multiple hard discs ???

I also have a 2006 boxed set - but I always just go for the powerpack DVD no box, no books etc - and the one occassion I had paid for support, it did seem to take forever to get a reply, hence I found myself spending lots of time in places like mandrivausers or at linuxquestions I found linux forums at a later date! I can usually find what I want too know here or at one of the other two.

By "Dreamworks Crossover program", do you mean Crossover Office/Plugin? cos if so, then theres all the info you need here. You just install the Crossover stuff and then start installing any of the supported windows apps (it used to give me great pleasure posting screen shots of Office 2k open over a nice shiney KDE background ).

Oh, and just for info, my partitoning scheme is like this

/hda1=/boot
    /hda2=/swap
    /hda3=/ (thats how the root partition normally is listed)
    /hda4=/home

Originally I started with all the linux stuff on the one partition, but found that whenever I wanted to try another distro I'd loose everything - the one above comes from having a go at Gentoo linux (a bugger to install, but easy to manage). it means that I just install any new distro to the /hda3 partition, with the 1 and 2 (you probably have a /swap and / yourself) - but I don't touch the /home stuff - I just tell the installer to use the existing partitons, but not to format the /home and i can then just log in and carry on from before.

Hopefully thats not confusing - it's quite hard to remember the stuff I wanted to know when I first tried linux 4 years ago

regards

John

p.s. Oh and the space bar thing - well that sounds like either graphics/x server related or and incorrectly configured keyboard.