Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there a package that rips cds to mp3 instead of wav or ogg available for Mandriva, please? cheers Paul...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

MP3 rips

Is there a package that rips cds to mp3 instead of wav or ogg available for Mandriva, please?

cheers

Paul

Wink

Grip is a good package for encoding to mp3. I've never used it to burn to a cd, but that shouldn't be a problem in that once you actually have the mp3s you can burn them from your hard drive using any decent package.

Grip will first turn your sound files into wavs, then compress them into mp3s.

The main problem you are likely to have is that for legal reasons mp3 encoders are not generally supplied with Linux distros. You need to install the encoder separately: this is really easy ... No, really it is

One encoder to try is called Lame. You could Google for this, download it and then compile it from source as it should have few dependencies. It should install into /usr/local/lib or /usr/lib Knowing the install path is important.

In the end there's no problem ripping to mp3.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rossi46
    Is there a package that rips cds to mp3 instead of wav or ogg available for Mandriva, please?
    You may find this article helpful: http://www.penguinpusher.org/node/12/

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close