Find the answer to your Linux question:
First of all, Hello, i'm a new member of this forum although not new to Forums themselves. Now the problem: I've had Mandriva 2006 installed for weeks now and i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Surround Sound Help

First of all, Hello, i'm a new member of this forum although not new to Forums themselves.

Now the problem:
    I've had Mandriva 2006 installed for weeks now and i can't figure out for the life of me on how to get surround sound working in Xine and MPlayer. I've searched and searched and no-one seems to know how to fix it.
    I've configured Harddrake to use ALSA using Intel_8x0 audio driver for starters.
    Then in Xine i configured it to use ALSA as the audio engine and configured the speaker arrangement to 5.1, also tried 5.0, 6.0 and Passthrough. Now i'll either get no sound from the center and Subwoofer channels or i'll get http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d8...sounderror.jpg error message. I've spend days changing the sound to and fro ALSA and OSS within the applications and on the OS level and nothing makes any difference.
    On a different note, MPlayer doesn't play any sound at all but plays video fine.
    I can get sound fine through a 2.1 setup but i'd rather get surround working if at all possible. I have all the required codecs and plugins installed and are using onboard nForce audio. ALSA mixer don't help either
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, really
    -----------------------------------
    AMD XP 2800+ Barton
    Albatron KX18DS Pro
    512MB DDR 400
    Radeon 9600XT
    Acer AL1716 17" 8ms TFT
    2xWD 40GB IDE HDD's

I think the most likely answer is that your onboard sound isn't fully supported. It sounds from your post like you've done everything possible to get this working, but onboard sound is a bit of a compromise, and I think you need to get a card which can fully support 5.1 surround under Linux.

If you visit this site: http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc you'll find a database of supported/unsupported cards.

Thanks for posting such detailed information btw! In general you need to do a little research before selecting which hardware to use with Linux. Not every hardware vendor will publish their specs. so you want to find out:

1. Does the card support 5.1? &
    2. Is a driver available for the card?

Good luck.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Thanks for replying fingal
    Yeah, i forgot to mention that i checked the ALSA site and my card is 'apparently' supported. It seems that i will not be able to get the surround to work with this chipset so, off the top of your head, do you know of any cards that are definately supported?
    Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    Thanks for posting such detailed information btw!
    It's the only way to avoid 25 page threads and confusion

Quote Originally Posted by RockOn
    Thanks for replying fingal
    Yeah, i forgot to mention that i checked the ALSA site and my card is 'apparently' supported. It seems that i will not be able to get the surround to work with this chipset so, off the top of your head, do you know of any cards that are definately supported?

It's the only way to avoid 25 page threads and confusion
    Creative cards seem to be well supported. Mine works well and it was only cheap. It depends what you want to use the card for though. I've just been drooling over this: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_g...2496-main.html and I know it can work under Linux!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Thanks for the help fingal.
    I may go and buy an Audigy2 Value card as they seem supported quite well.
    Thanks again (unless anyone else stumbles across this thread and knows how to fix my problem?)

Just Joined!

5.1 surround problem, ubuntu

Rockon,
    did you ever solve your problem?
    as i have the same: no sound from center nor sub

if you fixed it, could you post "dumby" level advice (that is, explicit, step-by-step) details so that i can do same?

thx kindly,
    rufus