Find the answer to your Linux question:
i havent used linux in a while and the linux i did use was mandrake... i just recently found out that it was called mandriva now... im sort of confused... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Mandriva Help Please!

i havent used linux in a while and the linux i did use was mandrake... i just recently found out that it was called mandriva now... im sort of confused... there are so many new things to download... can anyone help me on what mandriva i should get and where i can get it.... i only use free linux btw...

any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
    Keith

oz
    forum.guy
    You can read about some of the differences in the releases here:

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mandriva

You should be able to download free iso images here:

http://wwwnew.mandriva.com/en/downloads/mirrors

ok...i downloaded cd 1, 2, and 3 2006 mandriva disks and burned them....but when i started the installation... it started asking me for disk 3... so i put it in and it spit it out...i tried all the disks and it spit them all out... so i hit cancel..and went along with the install...then after the last disk (3) was installed, it showed the screen that you check the boxes on what you want to install... which i did earlier in the installation...so i checked all of them and clicked next....then it started with asking me for disk 3 again...and it spit it out like before... so it wont let me go any further.... lol not sure whats going on....

Thanks
    -Keith

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by ke1thb_00
    ok...i downloaded cd 1, 2, and 3 2006 mandriva disks and burned them....but when i started the installation... it started asking me for disk 3... so i put it in and it spit it out...i tried all the disks and it spit them all out... so i hit cancel..and went along with the install...then after the last disk (3) was installed, it showed the screen that you check the boxes on what you want to install... which i did earlier in the installation...so i checked all of them and clicked next....then it started with asking me for disk 3 again...and it spit it out like before... so it wont let me go any further.... lol not sure whats going on....

Thanks
    -Keith
    did you check the integrity of the downloads before burning keith ? i.e. the mirror site will have the iso file and an accompanying md5sum file for each one. The iso is downloaded then (if you are doing this under windows) you need to get a small app - an md5sum checker. You run the checker against the ISO file and compare the result with the one obtained from the mirror. If all the numbers match, then bingo, burn away, if it doesn't (or is out by even 1 number/letter) then I'd re-download the file.

Some say that you can get away with minor discrepancies, my experience has been that even that makes a difference.

If you've already got a linux install, then just download the ISO to, say your /home partition and then you can just open a terminal/konsole and run md5sum /home/keith/mandriva-disc1.iso (or whatever the file is called) and then when it throws up a result, you just compare the two.

Though it's got me wondering, because it asks for the 3rd disc - the main system is usually on the 1st one, the majority of the packages on the 2nd and the remainder of the packages (the rpm ones like on the second) and the source packages on the 3rd (it's all a bit different if you get like the powerpack version on CD cos that comes in 5, 6 or even 7 CD's).

Hence I'm wondering if there isn't something wrong with the first one, and it's asking for the third (with the source) which it then doesn't like - as source packages aren't compiled and it hasn't got as far as installing a compiler (possibly from the first or second disc).

Sorry thats about all I can think of from your description - you say that the system is booting ok from the first disc so it's set to boot from CDROM so I can only think it must be a problem with the disc(s).

Maybe wrong though - someone else might have a better idea or answer

regards

John

lol where do i find a md5sum checker and how do i use it haha... i got the three cd set from ftp://ftp.cise.ufl.edu/pub/mirrors/m...o/2006.0/i586/

and downloaded only cd1 cd2 cd3.... i still have them on my desktop.... im kindof new :P

Quote Originally Posted by ke1thb_00
    lol where do i find a md5sum checker and how do i use it haha... i got the three cd set from ftp://ftp.cise.ufl.edu/pub/mirrors/m...o/2006.0/i586/

and downloaded only cd1 cd2 cd3.... i still have them on my desktop.... im kindof new :P
    If you don't ask my friend, you aint gonna get.

here. download and install it.

Then if you use the windows (no pun intended) to put the files into and then tell it to make sums - the result should be the same as the ones available from the mirror you downloaded the iso from - there 1 for each of the iso files so you'll have to do the check 3 times to check the validity of the download for each disc. Plus it doesn't matter where you get the download(s) from, the data can still be corrupted by crap connections etc etc between you and the physical location of the server.

Plus, don't forget google is your friend. It's often worth while checking stuff before you make the leap. Did you have a read of this? It's from a sticky in the newbie forum - but it is worth a read IMO.

regards

John