Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello hello ! I had asked this two weeks ago and received no reply, and now I when I want to bump my message, I don't find this message anymore ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy Ogg vorbis files impossible to play o_O

Hello hello !

I had asked this two weeks ago and received no reply, and now I when I want to bump my message, I don't find this message anymore o_O So i'll be posting a copy I kept in my backups folder, just a bit edited since then. Sorry if I'm mistaken and my original post is still present somewhere.

I noticed that, on my Mandriva 2006, I can't play most ogg audio files (maybe one third of the ogg files can still be read). I tried with amarok, bmpx, xmms, kaffeine... Only the mplayer manages to read the ogg files.
    Yet, I have the win32 RPM codec pack installed, and also the libvorbis RPM pack.

If you want, here's one ogg file I can not read, except with the mplayer : http://sabin.free.fr/tmp/will-to-live.ogg
    Can you read that one ? T_T
    Please make the test

I'm an Amarok user, and not being able to play more two thirds of my ogg files is a hell T_T

In /usr/lib (and I copied them, without result, to /win32), I have
    libogg.a
    libogg.la*
    libogg.so@
    libogg.so.0@
    libogg.so.0.5.2*
    libvorbis.a
    libvorbisenc.a
    libvorbisenc.la*
    libvorbisenc.so@
    libvorbisenc.so.2@
    libvorbisenc.so.2.0.1*
    libvorbisfile.a
    libvorbisfile.la*
    libvorbisfile.so@
    libvorbisfile.so.3@
    libvorbisfile.so.3.1.0*
    libvorbis.la*
    libvorbis.so@
    libvorbis.so.0@
    libvorbis.so.0.3.0*

I found no RPM for ogg vorbis files that would be missing.
    Madly enough, the libvorbis RPM has the totality of KDE as a dependency, so I cannot uninstall-reinstall it

Would you know what I should do to enable my system to read ogg audio files ?

Please, thanks if you can help !

Hi Sabin - Not at a Linux box right now, but I'll see if I can play your file this evening. Someone else might have a solution by then though.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

I haven't had much luck trying to fix your ogg vorbis file! I couldn't get it to play either. I think I have an idea what the problem might be though. Here's the output from the command - file will-to-live.ogg

will-to-live.ogg: Ogg data, Vorbis audio, stereo, 44100 Hz, ~160000 bps, created by: Xiphophorus libVorbis I (1.0 beta 4)

Now here's the output from one of my playable ogg files:

08_three_hours.ogg: Ogg data, Vorbis audio, stereo, 44100 Hz, ~128000 bps, created by: Xiph.Org libVorbis I (1.0.1)

Note that the libVorbis library used to create the unplayable file is a beta version. So perhaps it's just a buggy algorithm which is no longer supported by current ogg vorbis software? Seems like a shame though. I tried to re-encode the file using Grip, but I couldn't get that to work. Sorry but I don't think this can be fixed. Someone please prove otherwise.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Interesting, thanks for your analysis !

Alas, my problem is that a TON of my CDs have been ripped using an old OggDrog version on Windows 2000, and that is that OggDrop that seems to use an outdated vorbis library !

More weirdly, those files play allright under windows.
    As much weirdly, those files can be played by the mplayer.

Well, since I have no choice, I guess i'll have to reboot windows and run a mass conversion of my CDs :/

Thank you for your time, Fingal

Your appreciation is appreciated! It was fun to check out your file, and I was interested to see that it's a beta version and therefore - in open source terms - 'an unstable release'.

I didn't think I would ever find a practical use for the 'file' command, but Unix developers are very wise. :-0