Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have posted this elsewhere: Is it possible for me to get my Linux installation online with AOL being my ISP? Paul...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Simply, yes or no, pls..

I have posted this elsewhere:

Is it possible for me to get my Linux installation online with AOL being my ISP?

Paul
    Korean food is great - it's the dog's bollocks!
    Linux user number 406572.

Aol

According to this Tutorial you can.

Would it still work for UK-based 2mb broadband AOL 9.0?

The instructions appear to be for dial-up. (I may be misinterpreting it, though..)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I would imagine it is possible but I don't use AOL so I don't know. My suggestion is to try a livecd to see if it works.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    According to my roommate, nothing is impossible in Linux. So, in short, from what I've been told, yes.

Thanks guys. I think my PC's going to look like my avatar before too long

I'm sorry, but being a sassanak (translation - Englishman or lowlander) I can't give a yes/no answer.

What is it that you're having trouble with?

I mean, is it that you can't get Linux (which distro?) to see your USB attached ADSL modem? If so, see - http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/modems.php?lang=en and possibly - http://www.lack-of.org.uk/viewarticle.php?article=114 .

Or is it something else?

Nerderello

ps. other translation for those not fortunate enough to have experienced these sceptered isles - "dog's bollocks" in Rossi46's signature, is either slang for something very good (as in "Linux is the dog's bollocks") or the male canine's reproductive organs.
    Last edited by Nerderello; 01-12-2006 at 10:31 PM.

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Linux Newbie

Linux on AOL

As of 1 yr. ago, I had to leave aol because it was not linux-friendly except for Linspire users. AOL requires a special dialer to access their dialup service. Not sure about their DSL connection with linux.

As for the link to yolinux and the penggy dialer......... I could not, nor could anyone else I know get the dialer to work. I googled for this for weeks and kept reading about the pengaol project being discontinued, then restarted as penggy, etc., but no success stories.

If you can get aol to work with linux and NOT have to use their proprietary software, then please let us know, as quite a few people use aol. I would not recommend or use aol myself however. Poor customer svc. Have you ever looked at your hard drive before and AFTER the aol CD gets hold of it?

Recommend Coppernet and an external serial port modem for linux dialup if you don't have access to DSL.

good luck

The one and only reason I'm with AOL, is that when I first got broadband they were the only ISP offering a connection with unlimited downloads. I'm a huge fan of Bit-Torrents, so I need a connection without a download limit. Like I said in another post, I only use AOL for the connection, minimise it and browse with Firefox (and have done so for two years).

My problem, specifically, is that when I go into the KDE desktop settings bit and try to set up an internet connection, I get as far as choosing my ISP and AOL is not listed anywhere. It doesn't matter which country I select, AOL's simply not listed. I find it a bit bizarre TBH (and maybe just a little bit petty).

So, I've decided to ressurect my old PC from the loft and make it a Linux exclusive machine for all my DTP, database, music storage and office stuff. In the end, I'll be surfing on this PC with AOL and doing everything else upstairs on my old Athlon 1.6XP.

That's when I figure out where the apps go that I've installed from rpm files.....

Paul