Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently uninstalled KDE to replace it with new version (3.5). The installation went alright, I set up my PATH to include the new KDE binaries but when I turn ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting up GUI selection at Mandriva 2005 LE startup

I recently uninstalled KDE to replace it with new version (3.5). The installation went alright, I set up my PATH to include the new KDE binaries but when I turn on the computer I still only have to choose between GNOME, WindowMaker and IceWM, IOW KDE still is not included. When I shut down the X server and run startkde, it complains that the X server is down, so I run startx but immediately after starting the X server it starts GNOME. (KDE itself runs ok, but in this situation I can only run it from within another GUI. Does anyone know how to include the new KDE in the GUI menu in the welcome screen? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fabik317
    I recently uninstalled KDE to replace it with new version (3.5). The installation went alright, I set up my PATH to include the new KDE binaries but when I turn on the computer I still only have to choose between GNOME, WindowMaker and IceWM, IOW KDE still is not included. When I shut down the X server and run startkde, it complains that the X server is down, so I run startx but immediately after starting the X server it starts GNOME. (KDE itself runs ok, but in this situation I can only run it from within another GUI. Does anyone know how to include the new KDE in the GUI menu in the welcome screen? Thanks.
    Sorry my friend, I can't give you precise instructions as I don't know how, but I managed to get kde 3.5 installed yesterday.

Initially, I followed these instructions
    KDE Install Instructions
    1. add all needed urpmi repositorys with: urpmi.addmedia mde.rpms
    http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mir...c//2006.0/RPMS with hdlist.cz
    2. go to easyurpmi.zarb.org and add mandriva main and contrib + plf-free and
    non-free repositorys
    3. go to runlevel 3 with init 3
    4. cp .kde in home dir to .kde.old or something
    5. urpmi --auto-select
    6. remove kdebase-kdm-config-file with: rpm -e --nodeps kdebase-kdm-config-file
    7. readd kdebase-kdm-config-file with: urpmi kdebase-kdm-config-file
    8. go to runlevel 5 with init 5 or reboot
    Unfortunately it all went really wrong at the No. 6 stage - the No. 5 stage isn't that helpful either as it seems to take forever (it wanted to install something like 450 different packages). Then when I did No. 6 it seemed to be OK until I tried the No.7 stage and it didn't want to install 3 important packages - mainly the kdebase-kdm-config-file one, so it meant that I couldn't start the GUI. Plus when I to see what was going on, but using gnome or ICEwm, they wouldn't open either.

So how did I manage this? Well actually it's reasonably straight forward (well it was how I did it).

1. log out of kde and restart a session in ICEwm - then from a browser, I went to easyurpmi and got new sources from the mandrake control centre (I couldn't remember the format for adding a repository in a terminal), I deleted my sources by doing
    Code:
    urpmi.removemedia -a
    and then added the new ones (be careful, because I coudn't do a copy and paste in the terminal window in ICEwm, I had to type them by hand). I then added the mirror above (the one in the instructions - again, by hand).

From there, I just opened the MCC (mandriva control centre/configure my computer), let it check for packages to install - all ot the mde.rpms packages appeared in the rpmdrake+ section i.e. ones that I could install, so I changed back to the rpmdrake- part and carefully deleted all of the kde 3.4.2 packages, moved back to the rpmdrake+ section and proceeded to add the newer kde 3.5 packages from the list.

I rebooted and it worked. I have had to mess around with the config for a few things, but mostly it's been straight forward.

I was having to be very careful, because I have a repositories/entries for main, contrib, updates, jpackage, plf free, plf non-free and the mde.rpms - the mde ones are easy enough to spot, but some of the package names/numbers are very similar.

don't know if that will help you any, but thats how I did it.

You might also find more about this here.

regards

John

p.s. Oh and yes I did have to re-install, because of the mess up I said about above, plus when I tried some other instructions - neither of which worked. The above method did. Luckily, I have seperate /boot, /, /swap and /home partitions so that I didn't loose anything from my /home - just the hassle of re-installing everything.