Results 1 to 2 of 2
I recently uninstalled KDE to replace it with new version (3.5). The installation went alright, I set up my PATH to include the new KDE binaries but when I turn ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
- 01-13-2006 #1
- Join Date
- Oct 2005
- Brno, Czech Republic
Setting up GUI selection at Mandriva 2005 LE startup
- 01-15-2006 #2Originally Posted by fabik317
Initially, I followed these instructions
KDE Install Instructions
1. add all needed urpmi repositorys with: urpmi.addmedia mde.rpms
http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mir...c//2006.0/RPMS with hdlist.cz
2. go to easyurpmi.zarb.org and add mandriva main and contrib + plf-free and
3. go to runlevel 3 with init 3
4. cp .kde in home dir to .kde.old or something
5. urpmi --auto-select
6. remove kdebase-kdm-config-file with: rpm -e --nodeps kdebase-kdm-config-file
7. readd kdebase-kdm-config-file with: urpmi kdebase-kdm-config-file
8. go to runlevel 5 with init 5 or reboot
So how did I manage this? Well actually it's reasonably straight forward (well it was how I did it).
1. log out of kde and restart a session in ICEwm - then from a browser, I went to easyurpmi and got new sources from the mandrake control centre (I couldn't remember the format for adding a repository in a terminal), I deleted my sources by doingCode:
From there, I just opened the MCC (mandriva control centre/configure my computer), let it check for packages to install - all ot the mde.rpms packages appeared in the rpmdrake+ section i.e. ones that I could install, so I changed back to the rpmdrake- part and carefully deleted all of the kde 3.4.2 packages, moved back to the rpmdrake+ section and proceeded to add the newer kde 3.5 packages from the list.
I rebooted and it worked. I have had to mess around with the config for a few things, but mostly it's been straight forward.
I was having to be very careful, because I have a repositories/entries for main, contrib, updates, jpackage, plf free, plf non-free and the mde.rpms - the mde ones are easy enough to spot, but some of the package names/numbers are very similar.
don't know if that will help you any, but thats how I did it.
You might also find more about this here.
p.s. Oh and yes I did have to re-install, because of the mess up I said about above, plus when I tried some other instructions - neither of which worked. The above method did. Luckily, I have seperate /boot, /, /swap and /home partitions so that I didn't loose anything from my /home - just the hassle of re-installing everything.