Find the answer to your Linux question:
Distro is PCLinuxOS and Firefox 1.5. The newest JRE (java...) package is installed (I even deinstalled it and installed it again), but Firefox doesn't recognize it. I still cannon open ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Java properly installed but Firefox 1.5 doesn't recognize it

Distro is PCLinuxOS and Firefox 1.5. The newest JRE (java...) package is installed (I even deinstalled it and installed it again), but Firefox doesn't recognize it. I still cannon open any Java chat.

I found that I have to make a link in Firefox plug-ins directory, which I did, but it didn't help.

Can anyone help me?

Linux Engineer
    What method did you use to install it? The only recommendation I have for you is to look over the installation instructions on the Java website and double check that you followed them word-for-word. Here is the url:

http://java.com/en/download/help/5000010500.xml

Java comes preintalled in PCLinuxOS.

The newest version Java(TM) Plug-in 1.5.0_06-b05 can be installed very simply by using Synaptic.

Just open and search for jre. Select and apply. BTW it will remove mozilla-java. Restart Firefox and you should have no problems.

You can check by typing about: plugins in the address bar.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Java comes preintalled in PCLinuxOS.

The newest version Java(TM) Plug-in 1.5.0_06-b05 can be installed very simply by using Synaptic.

Just open and search for jre. Select and apply. BTW it will remove mozilla-java. Restart Firefox and you should have no problems.

You can check by typing about: plugins in the address bar

how to do that synaptic style>?? can you tell me the steps of doing that?

I'm talking about a solution for Mandriva, I can't tell if it's the same for your distro : when you install Java, you need to create a symbolic link to the (blablabla-java).so into one of the firefox folders.
    If you hand-installed FF, there is not that sort of link, you'll have to add this. Take the link from another existing FF installation, if you can ?