Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, here is my problem. I've installed Mandriva and everything worked fine. Then I had to log in as root to do a few things and I noticed that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Mandriva gets extremely low

Hi everyone,
    here is my problem.

I've installed Mandriva and everything worked fine.

Then I had to log in as root to do a few things and I noticed that root gets slower every minute since it becomes quite static. I can't even turn it off reguralry.

A few minutes later I noticed that this happens even with normal users but afeter a much longer time.

I've run both top and ps ax and here is what I found out. From ps ax I've discovered at least 6/7 pdflush running and top showed that a program named kded was eating at least 60% of my cpu continuosly.

Who's the guilty one? How do I manage it? Sorry if I didn't paste the top output but when I get my PC get already too slow.

Thanks in advance

My guess is that you are using an early version of Mandriva for this to happen. The kded process eating your system resources was - if I remember correctly - a known bug in version 10.1 ... possibly even earlier.

The solution may be to use a more up-to-date version (like Mandriva 2006). If you are in kde you can hit Ctrl+Esc. where you'll also find a list of processes: in many ways easier to use than top (though top is good too). You can kill the process from there.

There used to be a Bash script available from the Mandriva (then Mandrake) website for working around this. It's a kludge but it might still be there.

There is an app called 'runaway process catcher' which you can install on your kicker/toolbar which will register a process melt-down like this and give you the option to kill it automatically.

The above should help you a bit.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

I can't even turn it off reguralry.
    its a well known bug in mandriva 2006 on KDE, as fingal quite rightly points out. i got the impression that mandriva are now focussing on stability rather than the bleeding edge. how ironic that that the 2006 edition turned out to be the most unstable mandriva i've ever used. the other ones were ok...even up to 2005 limited edition. mandriva used to be among my favourites.

you can start off by uninstalling kat(the search tool). the 0.6.4 version used to be on my suse, but it started slowing everything down and sending the system into an almost infinite loop. my advice is to get rid of it. apparently, the 0.7 version (when its released) will not suffer from the problems of earlier versions (or so the developers say)

Errr, I respectfully disagree with you Gnome - Well, to be more accurate I should say that I've found Mandriva 2006 to be slightly more stable than earlier releases, but certainly not perfect. If something is taking over neopard's system then it's probably an individual application and nothing to do with the distro as a whole.

I should also say that everyone's hardware is different, and sometimes issues are caused by underlying hardware problems: lack of compatibility etc., but that's just speculating in this case, and I still suspect that the guy above isn't using 2006 - No doubt he'll let us know about that.

Of course it's up to neopard if he carries on using Mandriva or not - it does still contain a few bugs here and there!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    Errr, I respectfully disagree with you Gnome - Well, to be more accurate I should say that I've found Mandriva 2006 to be slightly more stable than earlier releases, but certainly not perfect. If something is taking over neopard's system then it's probably an individual application and nothing to do with the distro as a whole.

I should also say that everyone's hardware is different, and sometimes issues are caused by underlying hardware problems: lack of compatibility etc., but that's just speculating in this case, and I still suspect that the guy above isn't using 2006 - No doubt he'll let us know about that.

Of course it's up to neopard if he carries on using Mandriva or not - it does still contain a few bugs here and there!
    I agree, people keep blaming distros for the problem. The whole thing is, some distro's support some hardware better, others don't. Also every distro will for sure have different versions of software. People should stop blaming the distro and blame the real culprit, bad device drivers or software. Nothing in the world is perfect. Anyways, if he's using 2006 I'll be able to check myself as I'm burning the install discs for it right now.
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

Well, to be more accurate I should say that I've found Mandriva 2006 to be slightly more stable than earlier releases, but certainly not perfect.
    its not just me. what i'm saying seems to be very accurate indeed given the sheer number of people of have echoed what i've said. my PC hasn't changed hardware wise between 2005 LE and 2006. given that 2005 LE worked fine and 2006 didn't, there is only factor in this equation to blame.

neopard
    kill Kat and notice how your kded process suddenly loses most of its activity. i've just tried it on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by GNOME_n00b
    its not just me. what i'm saying seems to be very accurate indeed given the sheer number of people of have echoed what i've said.
    Which people are you talking about - Where can I find out more about what you are claiming? You mention a number of people: how many people? Please show me the figures.
    my PC hasn't changed hardware wise between 2005 LE and 2006. given that 2005 LE worked fine and 2006 didn't, there is only factor in this equation to blame.
    Okay. Actually my experience has been the exact opposite of this. And once again I will reiterate - I *know* that the problem above is caused by a runaway process, so I don't understand why you are using this as an opportunity to be critical about a whole distro.
    neopard
    kill Kat and notice how your kded process suddenly loses most of its activity.
    Well done! I'm sure you're right. That individual process - rather than the distro as a whole - may well be responsible for this problem. You are now proving my point and contradicting yourself.

Incidentally, neither of us know which distro we are talking about here.

fingal
    what exactly are you expecting from me given that this is the internet? do you want me to point you to some central database that gives the majority users opinion? heck, no. or maybe you are
    read around the web. the overall feeling seems to be one of disappointment with mandriva 2006......one that echoes my conclusion of it after using the freebie dvd from linux format.
    its not just kat. it was the distro as a whole. the applications had a habit of crashing more than previous mandrivas (although the menu bug seems to have been fixed where the menu would disappear after updating software. ihad to go into /var/lib/menu-xdg and replenish them each time).

rather than the distro as a whole ............ You are now proving my point and contradicting yourself.
    no. in addition to the distro as a whole. no contradictions have been made by me.

i'm not slating mandriva per se. only the 2006 edition.

No memory/CPU hogging processes for me. However I couldn't get Mandriva to connect to the internet, so, yeah.
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

Talking That's all folks

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I solved the problem by myself a few hours after my post.

I found that Kat was the source of everything and removed its paket. Now everything works fine.

Mandriva is fast and stable but I've been running it only for a few days. However my hardware, athlon FX-55 and Nvidia sli system (everything works except my SB x-fi fidelity but it's Creative fault) , is fully supported even though I had to run the 32-bit edition (I needed a 32 bit distro to run some older programs such matlab).

Plus I'm happily running a SuSe 10 (64 bit edition) on the same desktop. I can say that SuSe is a bit slower but I think that both Suse and Mandriva are great distros, it's just a matter of habits I think.

Thanks a lot