Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello folks ! I have downloaded in my /home/ folder an RPM for my brand new Cherry keyboard, and installed it. But after second thought (I installed it despite a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Remove a hand-downloaded RPM

Hello folks !

I have downloaded in my /home/ folder an RPM for my brand new Cherry keyboard, and installed it. But after second thought (I installed it despite a missing dependancy, and I don't want to allow mayhem possibility), now, I want to remove that RPM.

The trouble is that I don't know how to remove that rpm !

In the MCC's rpm/program uninstaller/management, the keyman rpm doesn't show anywhere o_O
    Is there a way for me to remove that RPM from the folder where I have downloaded it ?
    Last edited by sabin; 01-18-2006 at 10:36 PM. Reason: typo

try ordering by installation date as way of locating it - perhaps its installed by another name (although i can't think why). or you can go into command line and type 'rpm -e <package name>'

Linux Enthusiast
    to find the name of the package try
    Code:
    rpm -qp --qf "%{NAME}\n" whatever.rpm

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    A nice way to figure out what to put in for <package name> (GNOME_n00b's solution) is to use:
    Code:
    rpm -qa | grep <package>
    For package, put the name of the rpm without the version number, architecture and .rpm. For example, if the name of the rpm was cherry_keyboard.1.2.1.i386.rpm, type:
    Code:
    rpm -qa | grep cherry_keyboard
    With the result that you get, use that for the solution GNOME_n00b provided.

You will have to do GNOME_n00b's command as root.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Thanks for the replies.

Using your solutions let me in perplexity, alas : it seems that RPM was not installed o_O

No way to remove that RPM.
    During installation, it said there was a missing dependency (in fact the lib is installed, but the extension for that file is *.so.4 instead of *.so.16, or something like that, sigh), and I forced the installation. But yet it seems not to be installed.

For instance :

urpmi keyman-1.0.0-13.i586.rpm

(My Mandriva is in french, all english words are a free translation)

Some packages required cannot be installed : keyman-1.0.0-13.i586 , for libwnck-1.so.4 is not satisfied)
    Continue ? (Y/n) y

urpme keyman-1.0.0-13.i586.rpm
    Unknown package : keyman-1.0.0-13.i586.rpm

rpm -e keyman-1.0.0-13.i586.rpm
    error : the package keyman-1.0.0-13.i586.rpm is not installed.

What would that mean ?

Don't do:
    Code:
    rpm -e keyman-1.0.0-13.i586.rpm
    do
    Code:
    rpm -e keyman
    If that doesn't work, what does
    Code:
    rpm -qa | grep keyman
    give you?

Bryan
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)

Thanks again

Alas, "rpm -qa | grep keyman" gave nothing at all.
    While "rpm -e keyman" gave as a result "error, the package is not installed".

Sigh. As if it was not possible to force the installation, as if the package had not been installed finally.

Are there for linux some tools to "browse" an RPM file, and see its detailed internal information and its dependencies ? I tried opening the rpm file with kwrite but that produced mainly ascii soup with few file names here and there, not something really meaningful :/

Perhaps a solution would be to solve the bad dependancy problem ?
    The rpm installer says every time that libwnck-1.so.4 is required, but that files is part of the libwnck library, which is already installed on my system, though with another name.
    More precisely, I have libwnck-1_16 installed, that lib is described as "Window Navigator Construction Kit i.e. a library to use for writing pagers and taskslists and stuff", and its files are :
    ‎/usr/lib/libwnck-1.so.16
    ‎/usr/lib/libwnck-1.so.16.0.2
    I also have ‎libwnck-1_16-devel, which among many other files includes :
    /usr/lib/libwnck-1.a
    ‎/usr/lib/libwnck-1.la
    ‎/usr/lib/libwnck-1.so

Would you think it would be possible to "fool" the RPM for my keyman into accepting my version of libwnck ?

Are you sure it installed (keyman)? AFAIK (its been a while since I have used an RPM based distro), the RPM won't install if there is a missing dependency unless you force it (using a switch). This would explain why it did not come up when you queried for it.

Bryan

Well, In my console, I have had this :
    Code:
    Some packages required cannot be installed : keyman-1.0.0-13.i586 , for libwnck-1.so.4 is not satisfied)
    Continue ? (Y/n) y
    As you can see, I said "yes, continue, to hell with dependancies".
    I also tried "urpmi" followed with keyman's name, with --force as a switch, same result.

Sigh, that means I won't have my keyboard's multimedia keys recognized

When I was researching your problem earlier, I came across some drivers on thier website. I can't seem to find them now but if you do, it may help solve your problem.

Bryan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast