Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I wish I were a programmer so I could create a driver to make all devices work under Linux, until then I have to report to you my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless/Sound Pain in Gateway 7326 GZ

Hi all,

I wish I were a programmer so I could create a driver to make all devices work under Linux, until then I have to report to you my pain in trying to configure the followings under these distribution : UBUNTU-Breezy Badger 5.10 ; Fedora Core 4 ; Mandriva 2006; Suse 10.

my Wireless integrated card (not working on all four flavors)
    01:09.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)

my Sound card (not working on all four flavors)
    (00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH 4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)

my Modem (Not Working under Mandriva 2006)
    00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Mode m Controller (rev 03)

I followed all instructions regarding installing 'Ndiswrapper' ...etc. for a whole week on all the distributions not a chance.

I still want to quit windows but I also want to have wireless access and Sound. I turned to you today to tell me what else to do. In the meantime I am doing a dual boot with Windows XP and Mandriva 2006.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and have a blessed day !!!

For ndiswrapper, what exactly is problem you are having?

For sound, I also have Ac97 card and it works perfectly with SUSE and Mandrake (now Mandriva). Have you tried un-muting the channels by using a mixer such as KMix or by running alsamixer from the command line as root.

For modem, check out www.linmodems.org to see if there is a compatible driver.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.